1 hour?!!?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Learner4Life, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 7, 2009

I just got a letter in the mail from the superintendant at my new job... He thinks he can do the new teacher orientation for 4 new teachers in ONE HOUR?!?!?!?!

Now granted, I, personally, have been working at this school for 2 years but the other three teachers have not! I probably know enough to get me through the year now, but I would like a lot more information than he can give me in an hour!

Just a gripe but DANG!

3. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 7, 2009

whoa and I just noticed that even though I changed my status to 5th grade teacher, it still says Title 1 Aide??!?!?!

4. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 7, 2009

Nope, I see 5th grade teacher! Congratulations on the new position. One hour does seem like a very short amount of time. Let us know if he even scrapes the surface of what you all need to know!

5. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 7, 2009

I think our district's is about that. Not much more. All he does is introduce staff, pass out district handbooks, go over the forms, and ask for questions. New teachers also have to go to an orientation at the educational service center for the whole county on a different day.

Our specific staff meetings have more info.

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 7, 2009

Be thankful it's just one hour. There's no way he can prepare you in even 8 hours. For the most part you have to just get in there and do it.

Congrats on the 5th grade position.

7. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Aug 8, 2009

Orientation? I've never had an orientation at a new school! Congrats on the new job. Hopefully your new teammates will help you out with the rest.

8. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Aug 8, 2009

We don't have a new teacher orientation. I believe there may be a brief meeting for first year teachers with their mentors. But it is more about mentoring than district procedures.

9. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 8, 2009

We have a 6 day induction program for new teachers (8:30-12:30) and orientation for two days. You have to go to induction to get your level 2 certification. Orientation is optional.