1, 2, or 3 paragraph writing lessons?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by applecore, Jul 1, 2012.

1. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 1, 2012

Would you teach third grade how to write one paragraph writing assignments, or do you just jump in and teach them two and or even three paragraphs?

I'm in the middle of writing my writing lessons according to the common core standards, and so far I've got my future students writing one paragraph assignments as a final draft...but with meat and meaning.

For the sake of just getting to the point and not digressing into how I taught writing over the past three years....does this sound right???

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2012

I would start with writing a good one paragraph. However, by the end of the year, our third grade is writing multiparagraph pieces.

4. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 1, 2012

Thanks, that's what I've been determined to do. Our 3rd graders are normally writing 3 paragraphs by November...however, the quality and actual understanding is lost---I'll stop there before I digress...:whistle:

With the new CCS I feel almost...empowered to teach with (dare I say) fun!

5. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Jul 2, 2012

We study a paragraph from a non-fiction piece or biography. They figure out how the author wrote it, then copy the style according to the rules they made themselves.

If it's from a bio, they substitute themselves as the main character.

The weakest students or ELL can just copy the original. They see sentences, punctuation and spelling are important. The advanced students beg to write more.

Favorite Teacher Blog:
    http://ed-is-life.blogspot.com/

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2012

I start the year cementing in a good solid paragraph with strong verbs and word choices. I then jump to 3. Honestly, I think 2 paragraphs is challenging because it doesn't really have a good outline to it. Though a bit loosey-goosey depending on rates of progress, I aim for:

1st trimester - 1 paragraph
    2nd trimester- 3 paragraphs
    3rd trimester - 5 paragraphs

I also teach 3rd.

7. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 3, 2012

Tyler B--That seems to help scaffold them on what a biography is; my SIOP heart appreciates this strategy. Thanks for the input!

iheartrecess---I really like your timeline of teaching paragraphs; I would think it would give developing time for students to really write. I love teaching 3rd grade! I wouldn't change if for the world

Thank you so much for your input! I'm excited for this next school year, being armed with new writing lessons and ideas to really teach writing. I feel more comfortable with taking the time to teach writing now more than I ever.

My next delima is I want to start the school year with a potato unit instead of the age old watermelon unit. I stumbled accross a potato unit, and seeing how I live in Idaho, it only makes sense. :)

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2012

What kind of structure do you use for a 3 paragraph work? I've always had a hard time figuring that out, and haven't found it explained well anywhere.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 3, 2012

You need to start the instruction about how to write a tremendous paragraph with style/voice, structure, and supporting details. As the year progresses, students need to be taught the craft of how to write longer papers. They have to. In fourth grade, by the end of the year, my students (no matter what ability) must write a paper that is one page, front and back. Some papers demand longer as well- possibly two whole papers' worth, if it is a project of sorts.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 3, 2012

Coming to 4th grade writing 1 1/2 pages (1 front, 1/2 back) is very, very, very nice and makes the transition easier in 4th because we expect a lot as the year progresses.

11. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 4, 2012

I like this format:

1st paragraph = introduction sentence and first point and details
    2nd paragraph = second point and details
    3rd paragraph = third point and details and conclusion sentence