1/2 Interview and Dilemna

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wikteacher, Jul 27, 2007.

1. wikteacher

wikteacher Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

*Caution: Long

Hi Everyone~

Here's a little background on my situation: I have been teaching K for the last 3 years, as well as working P/T as a certified nursing assistant for the past 8 years. I resigned from my teaching job to move closer to my boyfriend. Anyway, I have applied for 50+ teaching positions since May, but hadn't had any calls for interviews as I know no one in the schools and next to nothing about the area to which I moved. I finally began applying for other jobs related to my CNA background and was offered a position on Friday at a Women's Health Clinic, which I accepted based on complete lack of teaching prospects. I need to call HR and begin scheduling my pre-employment physical, etc. for next week. Yesterday, I got a call from a principal in a town about 10 minutes away wanting to interview me next week for a 1/2 split position. I would really prefer to stay in teaching if possible, but I'm torn.

So, I guess my questions are:
    1) If by chance I am offered this teaching job, is it entirely wrong to retract my acceptance of the clinic job before I actually start work there, but after my physical, etc.? They are all so nice and very excited to have me and I think I'd enjoy the job, but the $$ isn't great, and it's not the field that I spent $100,000+ going to school for. What's the best way to extract myself from that situation with minimal hard feelings?

2) Does anyone have any primary split grade experience and, if so, what sort of interview pointers could you give me specific to that? Like I said, I've been teaching K for the past 3 years, but I think I would really enjoy this position, too.

Thanks for reading and any help!!! :)

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

Sounds like a lot to consider!
    You'll find what's right for you!!

4. abequette

abequette Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I was somewhat in the same position as you a few weeks ago, and the only advice that I can give you, as cliche as it may sound, is to follow your heart. If teaching is what you want to do, than there will never be another job that you are completely satisfied with. I think I would go ahead and do whatever you are supposed to do for the other job (i.e. physicals, ect.) and still go to your teaching interview in the meantime. Then if you get offered the teaching position and you decide you want it, just explain to the person at the clinic that you received and offer from somewhere else that you just couldn't refuse. They should understand, but if they don't what does it really matter, you have to do what's best for you, not what's best for them.

5. wikteacher

wikteacher Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

Thank you for the advice, that's kind of the conclusion I had begun to arrive at, but it just makes me feel better to have it echoed by the wise people here!