1/2 day Kinder question

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by azteach2b, Jul 19, 2011.

1. azteach2b

azteach2b New Member

Jul 19, 2011

I have a question. I've recently applied for two jobs that are for Kindergarten positions. It is a full time position, but 1/2 day K at two separate schools. So you start at one school, teach the morning K class, then go to another school and teach PM K. Does anyone else do this? How do you like it? Is it difficult to go between two classes and schools? Just trying to get an idea of what it would be like if I do get the job. Thanks in advance.

3. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Jul 19, 2011

The only thought I have is, are the schools close? When I taught 1/2 day, our lunch was inbetween the classes and it was not a very long time. Im concerned about when you'd eat!

Im guessing the schools are in the same district or county, so curriculum and rules and such would be the same. You would prob. want to alternate going in early to the first school to plan/organize and staying late at the other to do the same, otherwise you'd have a long day.

You may want to keep two tote bags in your car, one for school one and the other for school two. You would prob. be able to teach the same lessons at both schools (besides things like guided reading, which vary due to kids) that would be easy. Id ask about staff meetings and such, and also getting out before the busses at school one. (If you had an assistant, they could supervise any kids left over?) Just some ideas!

At my old school, our music teacher was between two schools on opposite ends of the county, but she did three whole days at ours, then three whole days at the other.

4. azteach2b

azteach2b New Member

Jul 19, 2011

Thanks! Yes, the schools are in the same district and a mile and a half apart, so very close.

5. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Jul 25, 2011

I teach AM/PM at the same school. The lessons plans are basically the same for both classes. It could be challenging to have the same materials at both schools. I hope you have prep time at each school. Glad the distance is so close. Good luck.