1-2-3- Magic (How to track each kid's number)

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by TeacherShelly, Nov 15, 2009.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Nov 15, 2009

Well... I very reluctantly have decided to use 1-2-3- magic to manage a couple kids in my class. Trouble is, I can't remember if someone has a 1 or 2. Also, I'm not sure if I want them to have a clean slate after recess, or lunch, or go all day? The infractions are primarily speaking out, not following directions, and chatting during instruction. Any great ideas?

3. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 15, 2009

hmm... I'm probably too far out on a limb all by myself here, but I really dislike artificial systems for behavior management, especially if the teacher is having trouble remembering the components of the system for each kid; imagine how confused the kids are. Kids shouldn't be deeper in a hole after lunch for something they did early morning. I don't know a thing about 123Magic so it's probably unfair for me to criticize.
    Give a warning, then give a consequence. Plain, simple, and fair. Johnny talks out, say "Johnny, the rule is to be called on before you answer so all kids can have a chance, this is a warning." Johnny talks out again, say "Johnny, the rule you've broken again is to raise your hand and be called on. Please go sit next to my teacher's desk." The beauty is that all the kids plainly see what he did wrong and the fairness of the consequence. Gotta look for easy cheesy!

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Nov 16, 2009

Wrice, thank you. If you knew me, you'd know I am not a fan of behavior programs. I am trying this on the advice of my school counselor because I was getting really angry (inside) at the hijinx in my class. This trial is more for my blood pressure than to extinguish behavior, although she thinks it will help with both.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 16, 2009

How about make a triangle on a sticky note - 1 leg for each number 1-3. I would start for now breaking the day into 2 parts and then going to all day. Hope it works!

6. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Nov 16, 2009

How about a chart with three library cards with x's on it. Have the students names on popsicle sticks and if they get a strike, put the stick in the appropriate x.
    Or a small dryerase board with the three x's and write their names under the appropriate x.

7. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 16, 2009

haha hang in there, TeacherShelly!

I've had a lot of high blood pressure moments. My inner thoughts are my own worst enemy, since once I get riled up I can dig myself deeper and be angrier. I've learned to recognize triggers for my frustrations and early signs that I'm becoming frustrated and back myself down from there. Then I view my kids as puppy dogs and give simple, straightforward commands like 'sit' and 'stay.' haha. later, after i've breathed a bit, i can chat with the kids and give better criticism and consequences.

Hope 123 works!

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Nov 16, 2009

Wrice, thanks for the words. It really helps!

9. JamieLeigh

JamieLeigh Rookie

Nov 17, 2009

My school also uses 123 Magic, only it is with the whole class. My class is kindergarten, and it is very hard for me to remember what number each child is on, even though I write it on the board. If we are in the hall, I can't write in on the board. I'm curious to see the responses to this question...

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 18, 2009

I just had to watch the video on inservice day (well, the beginning of it. We decided we'd seen enough and turned it off). The program says that you start over for a new infraction/activity, not keeping the count going.

Their example was:
    *Kid wants a cookie
    *mom says no, it's too close to dinner.
    *kid starts whining.
    *mom says it's a 1.
    *kid keeps whining
    *that's 2.
    *kid stops...

later on the same kid is misbehaving at dinner... that's not a 3, it's a 1. New activity, new set of counts.

11. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Nov 18, 2009

I do this with my own children but I have noticed that my youngest now won't do anything until I start counting...so in my opinion that is also a little frustrating. But, I do have to admit that by the time I get to 2 she's usually doing it, or if she's not, then I know she's tired/upset.

12. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Nov 18, 2009

What about a post it? Just put the child's intial with a check. You can easily have that with you in the hall.