1:1 Laptops

Discussion in 'General Education' started by glen, Jul 3, 2009.

1. glen

glen Companion

Jul 3, 2009

The upper grades at my school next year will have 1:1 laptops. I'm very excited about this, but also can see some problems that could potentially arise. I'll put together some sort of a user agreement for technology use in my room and clearly state expectations. We're a small school with small class sizes, so I think monitoring should be easier if I plan well.

Along with the written expectations, I want to set my room up for quick and easy monitoring. My goal is for the students to have the impression that I can see their screens very easily from many different points in the room. How should I set the room up? Place my desk/workspace? I have a fairly large room and lots of flexibility. What have others found to be effective?

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 3, 2009

Just get the monitoring software than you will be able to see what they are doing on their computers from yours. I used it when I taught middle school. It works great. I could be in the other room and lock them out of their computers if they weren't doing what they were suppose. Yes there was an adult in the room with them. I taught k-8 and had two classrooms. My aide and I switched back and forth.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 3, 2009

We have software that monitors thumbnails of student screens and allows the teacher to take control of the laptop from the teacher laptop.

But, I also started doing more from the back of the classroom. We are wireless and have tablet PCs, so I could still project my computer screen if it was needed for instruction and the laptop can be carried like a notebook. I could still move around the room.

If your students are similar to mine, you'll likely find that most students will use the laptop like expected. A few will multi-task (have something going in the background) and a few will have a really hard time being on task at all. When I say a few, I mean 1 or 2 students per class period. You learn to check on them more frequently.

One of the most useful things I did was create a chart with 3 options for each class period. 1. Log on asap, 2. log on later, 3. no laptop today. My whiteboard is magnetic, so I taped the chart to the whiteboard and used magnets to mark the category for each class. Students learned to check the chart as soon as they entered class. It eliminated "do we need our laptop?" questions and helped set the tone for the class period. If category 2 or 3 were marked, the laptop stayed in the bag.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 3, 2009

This will be my 4th year in a 1:1 environment, and I'll second much of what KU said. If you use your computers every day as an instructional tool, a lot of the "multi-tasking" will weed itself out. Most of the kids do their work most of the time. :) Surely, though, your district will buy you a monitoring software. Ours is called DyKnow.

Even though each student has a laptop, I still want them to be able to cooperate and work in groups, so I have my room set up in pods of 3 desks. I can weave in and out of the pods easily.

The truth is monitoring them with the computers isn't much different than when you monitored them before. It's the same basic teacher techniques. Move around the room, ask questions, etc. If they know you're actively teaching, they'll be working.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 3, 2009

We use DyKnow Monitor, too.

7. glen

glen Companion

Jul 3, 2009

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 3, 2009

I made less than a dozen trips to the copy machine all last school year. It was WONDERFUL to not use paper!

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 3, 2009

I'm very proud to say that I've been virtually paperless for 2 years because of the laptops! I love not having to worry about running to the xerox machine. :D