1:1 Devices

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Mar 3, 2015.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 3, 2015

How many of you are on 1:1 devices? In my district, all 2nd-5th grade students have Chromebooks. Next year, all K-1st grade classes are slated get iPads in their rooms for the kiddos.

My first year teaching (2005), the only technology I had was a desktop computer, overhead projector, and TV/VCR! My last year teaching, though, I had a LCD projector & document camera. I also piloted the use of iPads in the classroom.

Teaching with technology has evolved to much over the past few years.

3. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Mar 3, 2015

One of the districts near me implemented a 1:1 technology initiative. HS students have MacBook Airs to take home; MS and grade 3-6 students have iPad Airs to take home; and K-2 students have iPad Airs that are kept in the classroom.

Another district just implemented a technology initiative, but it's 2:1 in elementary. I think it may be 1:1 or BYOD in HS.

4. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Mar 3, 2015

Our district is grades 3-12 are 1 to 1 chromebooks and k-2 are 1 to 1 1 ipads.
    While this is controversial for sure, it is all thanks to the new online state test in California.

5. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Mar 3, 2015

At my school all students have chrome books. They work pretty well and we have strong internet in our school. We use a ton of google apps (obviously that is all chrome books run.)

6. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2015

I am part of a pilot program with 1:1 Chromebooks in my 8th grade class only, and I love it!! We are supposedly going 1:1 in K-12 for next year, although we're still not sure if it's going to be Chromebooks or iPads. I love using Google apps and other apps in my classes, but I am curious about how the tech is being used in the lower grades?

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 3, 2015

We're just working on getting enough computers for all of our students to use while at school. We have two computer labs and 700 students.

I worked on getting Chromebook carts in every hall with a full class set of Chromebooks on each.

If we ever do one-to-one it would have to be the parents that purchase the Chromebooks, and us providing loaners in case they cannot afford it. But we can barely ask our parents to pay for field trips.

8. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Mar 3, 2015

While I don't think I would need 1:1 devices, I do wish I had a laptop cart to bring into my classroom! We don't even have a computer lab with enough computers for an entire class... it only has 18 computers, so they have to share. It's a pain!

9. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Mar 3, 2015

Peregrin, not sure on this, I was under the impression that all districts in California were given money specifically under common core funding that "should" have been used for 1 to 1 devices? Is this not the case or did some districts decide to spend the money differently?

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 3, 2015

Peregrin, we (public schools in the State of CA) can't ask parents to do either of the two (purchase Chromebooks/iPads or pay for field trips).

This year, all schools in CA received funds via LCFF (Local Control Funding Formula). Those funds can be used to purchase the 1:1 devices, pay for extra curricular activities, offer extended day opportunities, cover field trip costs--just to name a few options.

Even prior to receiving LCFF monies, we could ask for a donation to pay for field trips, but no one could be excluded due to inability to pay--it's against the law.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 3, 2015

One more thing about LCFF: the higher number of English Learners, foster youth, and free/reduced lunch students that a school has, the more $$$$ that school will receive.

12. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2015

I'll take some! We're 3:1 (if all of our Netbooks are running...usually one or more are down), which helps, but I definitely wish I had access to more on a consistent basis so that we could do more whole class work / activities using it!

13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2015

We have 1:1 i pads. Most teachers use them constantly. There are good activities you can do with them, but I do worry about all of the screen time our kids are getting. We got them last year. The rationale was that we are a very high poverty district and getting these i pads would put hundreds of books in the hands of each child for at home reading (they take the i pads home, and we have programs full of books loaded on the i pads). It's only been a year, but our data didn't go up any last year. Personally, I wish they would have spent that money on more teachers- more interventions would have a bigger impact for our students IMO.

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 3, 2015

I am 1:1. I love it! I do manage screen time a lot though, and I make sure to use the technology for more than online learning games.

15. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 3, 2015

I would LOVE to have 1:1 Chromebooks. Right now, are are at about 4:1. We also have a computer lab. We make it work, but what I wouldn't give for a cart in my classroom.

We have iPad minis, too, but the ratio is pretty big. Like 10:1. I wouldn't object to going 1:1 with those, of course, but I find the Chromebooks a lot more useful in 5th.

My school isn't getting a lot of local control funding because we don't have high numbers of ELLs or low income students. I hope we eventually get more Chromebooks somehow.

16. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 4, 2015

Yeah. Hence the inability to go 1:1. I think a private school principal told me that's what he does, and I also said we couldn't ask for things like that. In order to even get basic school supplies we had to put this annoying paragraph into our syllabus saying they don't REALLY have to buy their own school supplies.

We got a big pot of money, but all of that is just going to becoming about 7:1 rather than 1:1. We don't have enough money because we're not Title 1 and we're not a rich school district with rich parents, so we're stuck somewhere in the middle with no funding.

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 4, 2015

YUCK! Where's the dislike button? :(

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 4, 2015

One of the teachers at my site said, "See--one good thing about teaching in the ghetto is that our school gets lots of $$$ that the rich kids' schools don't get."

I would've have phrased it quite that way myself, but it's true.

19. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 4, 2015

We've been 1:1 for nine years! Our students have HP tablets, and I would say that we've come a long way in nearly a decade. Most of our classes are nearly 100% paperless. I can't imagine teaching without this kind of technology now. :)

20. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Mar 4, 2015

This is interesting! I definitely think that technology has potential to be very useful, but I don't think that teachers always know how to use it most effectively. How has your use of technology in the classroom evolved over nine years of experience?

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 4, 2015

My district is 1:1 in 3-8 with iPads, and 9-12 with MacBook Airs. They do not have plans for K-2 to be 1:1.

22. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 5, 2015

At first, I think most of us were all about the "show" of the technology... we used different programs or websites just for the sake of doing it. As we've grown as a staff, we've learned to focus on the skill we want to teach (obviously) and let the technology work around the skill. Make sense? Fortunately, the amount of "web 2.0" products and sites out there has exploded in the last 9 years, so it's much easier to mold the technology to my lesson rather than vice versa.

I will also say that we are a VERY tech savvy staff. We're well trained, and we're all eager to experiment with new technology -- that's a big condition our principal has for hiring.

23. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 5, 2015

I'm at a charter, and we're probably at about 1:8. We have a lab, but no student-usable technology in classrooms.

24. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Mar 5, 2015

Our district has 1:1 Chromebooks for grades 2-8. We have a high percentage of ELL and free/reduced lunch students.

25. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 5, 2015

I think maybe we have some rich families, but we are definitely not a rich school. My school is pretty decidedly middle class. I wasn't here last year when the school got the tech, but I know they fundraised for it.

It is.

26. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Mar 5, 2015

My district went 1:1 in December. Roll out has been TERRIBLE, internet access problems, IP numbers changing all the time...that said, my kids love the devices when they are working. K-2 received Slate tablets (I hate them--prefer my set of 8 ipads!!) and 3-8 have chromebooks. The district are also paying us for participating in voluntary modules where we learn how to use tech and think about digital literacy/citizenship. Modules take a long time and lots of work outside the classroom but I am enjoying learning how to access all that is out there! HOWEVER, as a second grade teacher, I find much of it unusable for the little ones.

27. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 6, 2015

We are getting there...grades 5-8 have class sets of Chromebooks in S.S., science, and ELA (which are then available during electives as well--we only have one class per grade). In K-4, we have a class set of Chromebooks on a cart and a class set of tablets. It still takes some schedule juggling sometimes, and I would definitely use them more if they were always available, but even this has been much nicer than having to move the whole class to the computer lab just to do one activity.