“Strongly Encouraged” Dress Code Pressure

Discussion in 'General Education' started by willowsangel, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Aug 27, 2010

Wow. Today, I needed to go in to meet the principal so I wore a blouse with my jeans and flip flops. I was one of the better dressed people at work today. I can't imagine being told I needed to wear a dress. I like them when I'm feeling romantic, but they aren't comfortable and I don't feel that I can easily move in them.

I do agree, though, don't make waves your first year.

2. busybeeZ

busybeeZ Rookie

Aug 27, 2010

I complain about our dress code that doesn't ever allow jeans, and am told by the 'older' teachers on staff about how they also used to have to wear skirts and hose every day. Ugh, I feel for you. I once turned a job at a religious school because I was informed I would have to wear an 'ankle length skirt' every day. In my head I thought "i'd rather hang myself with an ankle length skirt than wear one every day."

I feel for you! I'd say stick with it M-Th and then REALLY look SUPER-professional in those slacks on Fridays, and maybe the good example will encourage admin to consider being more flexible.

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 27, 2010

Hugs. I would be very upset as well. Our director 'strongly encouraged' us to wear plaid shirts today for our group picture.... he's obsessed with plaid. That's about as tough as it gets for us. So I'm sending my non-needed outrage your way.

4. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Aug 28, 2010

I couldn't imagine being told wearing a skirt is a requirement. :mad:

2 years ago, I had a male student who took a picture up my skirt. And, this was a longer flowy skirt that was halfway down to my ankles below my knees! I haven't worn a skirt since.

I'm now really thankful for our lenient dress code after reading this thread. We are allowed to wear jeans and school t-shirts on Thursdays, and really anything with our school logo (even if it's a t-shirt) can be worn any day of the week. No one has ever said anything to me if I wear dressy denim trousers on another day of the week. Last year in the winter, I lived in khakis and a school hoodie on the non-jean days, and I'd wear cute corduroy clog shoes with it instead of tennis shoes. Basically as long as we are neat and clean and not showing a lot of skin, we're good! We are also allowed to wear capris during the warmer months (and boy, August/September May/June are brutal here with heat).

I couldn't imagine being required to wear heels, a skirt, and a jacket. I like being able to move around my room comfortably. Plus, between dry erase markers and pen and all that, I'd rather not have a fancy pants wardrobe that could be ruined. With all I do during the day I'd look frumpy by the end of the day, it would be wrinkled and gross which would defeat the purpose.

That said, this year I did buy some more "professional" looking pants and blouses at NY & Company during tax free weekend, so I am trying to dress it up a bit more. But, those items are very comfortable still, can be mixed and matched, and I have flat shoes. And still no skirts! ;)

Edit: One of the other teachers in my department coaches 2 sports throughout the year, and most days she gets away with being in sweats all day. So, yeah. I really, really hope they never change that around in my building (but my principal is nearing retirement in the next few years, so who knows what her replacement will do...)

5. willowsangel

willowsangel Rookie

Sep 6, 2010

It’s now official policy after Labor Day when we go back this week. The first few weeks was the pilot run, and our administration sent out official notices last week. :(

6. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Sep 6, 2010

I feel your pain!!! I have to wear a skirt/blouse (has to be the approved uniform colors) 3 days out of the week and I can wear dress slacks 2 days out of the week. I hate it! So I try to dress it up with a cute cardigan, but I still think it's ridiculous that I am teaching in a pencil skirt for 7 hrs.