“Primary instructional?”

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by CoffeeCat27, Dec 31, 2019.

1. CoffeeCat27

CoffeeCat27 Guest

Dec 31, 2019

Hi, I’m very new to this world (December 13th), and I have a question in Frontline (AESOP). The subject/grade is not always displayed, but one available job says “primary instructional” where the grade or subject would be. It’s a school of grades 3-5, if that matters. Any idea what this means? It’s really tough not having an idea what you’re signing up for, so I try to only take jobs that do specify the grade or subject (there’s so much uncertainty in this job as it is). But that’s not always possible. Thanks!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2019

In my area, this could mean that you would be covering a variety of classrooms throughout the day while teachers are involved in meeting or PD.

CoffeeCat27 and CherryOak like this.
  4. CoffeeCat27

CoffeeCat27 Guest

Dec 31, 2019

Ah, thank you! I’ve seen the term “floating substitute” used for jobs covering teachers’ meetings, but this was the first time I saw this term. I had signed up for the job already because I’m new and have the attitude of “learn by experience,” but now I feel much better about this day!

5. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jan 1, 2020

I'm not sure, either, but it struck me funny that grades 3-5 would contain the term "primary", usually reserved for grades pk-3. Grades 3-4 are a transitional grade (in terminology). To make my post more confusing (sorry), when I was growing up in the 60's, elementary was K-6. Now 6th and sometimes 5th are middle school. I've also seen "intermediate" used for grades 4-6.

6. CoffeeCat27

CoffeeCat27 Guest

Jan 2, 2020

Yes, I also saw “primary” and I thought of pre-K. But I looked up the school online and it’s a school for grades 3-5 only, which I also found strange. It’s still concidered elementary school, so I don’t know. It’s in a different district than I am currently familiar with. Well, this assignment is the 8th, so I can post what it turned out to be after that.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2020

My first impression was that you are the primary classroom teacher in a class that also has a co-teacher for students with special needs. As the primary, things like lunch counts, attendance, recesses, and possible duties would fall on you.

That said, I will be looking forward to someone actually reporting back as to what that designation really means in the subbing world!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  8. CoffeeCat27

CoffeeCat27 Guest

Jan 8, 2020

*sigh* They pulled a fast one on me. It turned out to be a co-op with highly special needs kids renting a room in this school and I was subbing for one of the paras. I am really upset: There was no indication this job would be working with special needs kids, a field I have zero experience or training in, and no indication it was a para/aide job rather than teaching (which affects my paycheck). How can they not specify these important things so you’re not blindly accepting a job you’re unqualified for/uncomfortable with?

That being said, I was somehow able to find a way to communicate with each of their unique needs, and the day was more pleasant than most of my other subbing days = being thrown into a “regular” class that has 4 special needs kids and no para/aide. I’ve been having a lot of exhausting and terrible days...hopefully the rest of the week goes okay.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2020

So sorry that we were all wrong about what the job description actually meant. It is so far off that it is almost a bait and switch, but giving the benefit of the doubt, perhaps the person listing the job was desperate to fill it, but was afraid a more honest description wouldn't yield any takers. Too bad that what it has done is leave a bad taste in your mouth and made you suspicious. That's actually worse.