“Lead” Teacher Power Trip

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Amonet0173, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Amonet0173

Amonet0173 Guest

Oct 25, 2017

Hi all! This is my first time posting, I came across the forum looking for advice on an issue and thought I’d reach out. My name is <redacted by moderator> and I teach pre-k I at <school redacted by moderator>. I started here about a year ago as a toddler room assistant but after leaving for the summer I returned and was promoted !

I have a special place in my heart for this school as I attended and graduated from here as a kid. My current issue is, My “Lead” teacher. I was familiar with her harsh ways when I worked there prior but never experienced her first hand. But OH MAN.. my first week I was so excited to implement lesson plans I had and I was quickly shot down. As she let me know she was in charge and she chose the children’s works. She complains a lot about what the kids don’t know as opposed to working with what they do, and overall she’s just a lazy teacher. All of her so called lesson plans are photo copies of work from previous teachers ranging from years 85-2011 ( i kid you not)
    Some work I even remember doing as a kid.

The first collision with her was about these supplies we received. If you’re familiar with the mother goose time curriculum. If not it’s essentially everything you need for a school year , lesson plans and materials included ! I found out and asked why we weren’t doing these things and she told me that she only used the things for arts and crafts on fridays (the Only day we do crafts). Other than that M-T her “lesson plans” consist of each week having a letter, number, and shape and doing worksheets that consist of tracing and coloring. That’s is all.

Recently she was absent on Monday. I had a themed lesson plan I wanted to try out as she left nothing prepared. The kids did amazing and I even graded and assigned 1 or 2 nights of homework to go with what we’d done thinking she could do the second nights work. I come in Tuesday morning and greet her , in return she barks “you don’t give them homework or put anything in their books”... I was so taken back by that, I had to go to another class room. She proceeded to rip out the homework I put in their books and replaced it with her own. I even found one balled up in the trash...

On top of all of this .. she has no certification. I’m currently working to get my CDA. She’s completed the hours requirement but didn’t realize there was more to the process and once she found or she let our boss know she wouldn’t be taking the further steps ( she didn’t complete the hours course herself). I am projected to finish everything before or by the new year, and when that happens I hope that my boss will take the steps in who should lead.

I wish she weren’t so combative and harsh. I really wish we could work together because I want for those kids what I would want for my own ! It is so infuriating to be unable to do what gives you purpose.
    My boss is supposed to have a mediation with she and I tomorrow, I really hope this goes well and we can coexist in our classroom

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2017
  3. Elena3

Elena3 Rookie

Oct 25, 2017

There are so many difficult people out there, especially in the workplace. I feel for you. Stay strong and keep your personal integrity.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 25, 2017

I can understand your frustration.
    On another note, you may want to go back and edit out identifying information from your post. You never know who may be reading this. I would hope your lead teacher isn't.

5. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Oct 25, 2017

It is a moving example of how obstinate some can be. I wish you the very best. Please let us know how things went!

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Oct 26, 2017

Yes, remove your info before someone says something to your lead.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 26, 2017

She hasn't been back since the initial post, so I redacted the identifying information on her behalf.

8. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Oct 30, 2017

Some people are vile. I wonder why Pre-K has homework, but anyway.