‘A Good Teacher Is . . . ’

Discussion in 'General Education' started by george1234, Apr 3, 2010.

1. george1234

george1234 New Member

Apr 3, 2010

At times, though, even students interested in learning complain that they have “bad” teachers. But just what is a “good” teacher? One young girl told Awake!, “I like my math teacher because she’s a lot of fun.” One boy praised his English teacher for ‘cracking a lot of jokes.’

But while being likable or even entertaining can be an asset for a teacher, it is not a substitute for his being “adequately qualified to teach others.” (2*Timothy 2:2) Of course, here the Bible is primarily referring to spiritual qualifications. But it does highlight the fact that one requirement of a good teacher is that he should know his subject.

Unfortunately, knowledge and a colorful personality do not always come in the same package. One youth had a teacher who could crack jokes like a comedian. However, the youth admits, “We never did get around to doing much physics.” On the other hand, another youth indicates that his teacher was knowledgeable. Yet he calls him “horribly boring. He spoke in a monotone and used exceedingly big words that no one understood.”

Do you have a teacher of the latter variety? If so, remember what some early Christians said about the apostle Paul. He was superbly qualified as an instructor of God’s Word. Yet some Christians in Paul’s day complained that “his presence in person [was] weak and his speech contemptible.” Paul replied: “But even if I am unskilled in speech, I certainly am not in knowledge.”—2*Corinthians 10:10; 11:6.

If some overlooked what Paul had to say and saw only his alleged deficiencies as a speaker, what could have happened? They would have lost out on gaining valuable knowledge. Don’t make the same mistake when it comes to school! Before writing off an uninteresting teacher as being “bad,” ask yourself, ‘Does he know what he is talking about? Can I learn from him?’

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Apr 3, 2010

Personally, I think a good teacher needs to have both. Good teachers know their subject matter as well as how to teach it effectively to all of their students. I had quite a few college professors who knew their subject matter very well, but had no idea how to teach it to others. I didn't do well in those classes mostly because I could hardly keep myself awake!

To be a good teacher, you must understand the subject that you are teaching, but you must also have a passion for teaching others. You have to be willing to try several different teaching methods (lecture, technology, group work, kinesthetic activities, etc) in order to reach all of your students.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2010

The very least a child deserves is a 'good teacher', we should strive to be GREAT teachers.

5. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2010

A good teacher is someone who strives to help his/her students to learn by teaching with empathy, and making learning fun. If at the end of the day, you, as a teacher can truly say, "I made a BIG POSITIVE difference in these children's lives. I know they can grow up and become team players and leaders that can make a positive difference in society", then you are good!:D
    Rebel1