Аdvice needed-K vs 1st grade-gifted children program

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Vera979, May 26, 2009.

1. Vera979

Vera979 New Member

May 26, 2009

Dear teachers, I am a parent and would really appreciate your advice regarding the question that I have.
    I have a 4- year -old son who will turn 5 in September and who will be entering kindergarten this fall. Because at home we speak a language other then English (Russian) we were told to undergo an evaluation of his language ability, in other words how well he can speak English. His English is absolutely fluent and this is not an issue, however the evaluation that they did was not only about the language but also about how well he is prepared for the Kindergarten.
    Anyway, what happened was after the evaluation was done and the person who performed the evaluation came to me to show the results , all she was saying was "WOW! WOW! WOW!" .My son passed all sections of the test with the highest marks-got 10 out of 10 on every segment, so that teacher suggested I try to talk to his school about some gifted children program or possibly skipping kindergarten altogether because he pretty much knows the curriculum of the 1st grade.

I am from Ukraine originally and am not very familiar with all the intricacies of American educational system. Could someone please explain is it possible for him to skip Kindergarten and go to the 1st grade and what is a gifted children program? What are other options for the child who is obviously advanced for the kindergarten program?
    Thank you very much! Vera

3. lucylucy

lucylucy Rookie

May 26, 2009

I would be very careful in considering skipping kindergarten. Kindergarten is when children learn the routine of going to school, learning behavior expectations, how to engage and play appropriately with other children. I would consider how old your child is, how well he/she plays with others, if there are ever temper tantrums, etc... The options that are available to you vary depending on where you live. In Colorado there are "advanced" kindergarten programs and that would be my recommendation. Where do you live? It may be in your child's best interested to pursue the gifted program.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 26, 2009

A gifted pogrom would most likely be a pull-out program where he spent 30 minutes to an hour a few days a week in a small group with other gifted children around his age and participates in more challenging activities. He would also probably be with a teacher that knows how to adjust the curriculum to meet his needs. I would personally probably recommend that he be be tested by the school to be placed in a gifted program and be with a teacher that is trained to work with gifted students. The fact that he is very young even for kindergarten tells me that he would likely have maturity issues either now or later in school. He would already be one of the youngest in kindergarten and in first grade he would be almost 2 full years younger than the other kids, imagine him being 16 and graduating with 18-19 year olds.

5. Vera979

Vera979 New Member

May 26, 2009

We are in Cleveland, Ohio.

6. Vera979

Vera979 New Member

May 26, 2009

Another question I have is how do I first address this with the teacher that he will be assigned to? Do I give her time to eveluate him on her own , or do I insist on this gifted children program right away? My concern is that if I do not say anything, they will not do anything as well and as a result he will not be challenged.

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

May 27, 2009

Vera,
    Most schools have a screening process for gifted students. In our district, students aren't even tested until the end of 1st grade, so there is no such thing as a "gifted program" in kindergarten or first. However, students who are obviously advanced are often put in a class with a teacher who knows how to teach such students, how to challenge them, and how to help them learn.

There is nothing wrong with letting the teacher know, but I'd also give her time afterwards to work with your child and come up with her own determination. We have an evaluator at our school who is always saying that "so-and-so" is gifted -- but what she means is that they are academically advanced. There is a big difference. I wouldn't base everything on one evaluator's opinion. I'd call the school where your child will be attending, and talk to the person in charge. Tell them exactly whta you told us, and she what they recommend.

In our school, we have a testing process for parents who feel their child is too advanced for kindergarten. It evaluates both academic things and social and maturity issues.

8. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 27, 2009

I would be very cautious about moving a kindergartner into first grade. There is a huge maturity difference between first and kinder. Kindergarten is vital for social skills and classroom skills. My guess is the evaluator does not actually teach first or kindergarten or else she would never have made that suggestion from a test that probably did not take more than an hour to give. An hour does not give anyone much idea of how a child will do over 7 hours a day for 180 days in a class with children who are potentially two to three years older.

In the state I live in the children are not tested for GATE until third grade.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 27, 2009

We actually do have a Gifted Kinder class at our school. You may want to look into the schools in your area and see if any have any kind of Magnet Programs. If the schools have a G/T (gifted and talented) program there would be an application process to get him identified.

In any event, I would definitely schedule a conference with the teacher in the first couple of weeks and discuss with him/her your concerns that your child be challenged. Certainly regardless of whether he is a high achiever or truly gifted, you don't want him to become bored with learning.

10. Vera979

Vera979 New Member

May 27, 2009

Thank you very much to everyone who answered my question.
    Now I have a better understanding of how the system works.
    I will most likely just show the sheet the evaluator gave me and tell the teacher what she had told me and that will be it, I will let the teacher decide if he indeed so advanced or not. I do want to strike a balance between making sure my child is being challenged and not being one of those pesky parents who tell teachers what to do all the time.
    What I do is I buy those “Complete curriculum” for K and 1st , 2nd grade and just go by those books with him. It is not difficult for him at all. I would too say that I would not call it gifted, he is just academically advanced and maybe doing well in Kindergarten, being one of the best students, will be good for his self-esteem and maybe it will make him like school.
    Thanks again!