Rookie, from Florida

Anstice was last seen:
Jun 15, 2016
  • About

Graduate Student
    Location - Displays on your posts:
    Florida
    Profile Welcome Message:
    Wondering if the high attrition rate for new teachers might be, in part, a symptom of the standard career ladder for the profession. Any other professional would begin in a supportive role and go through an extended period of OTJ experience - building skill, competence and confidence in the practical aspects of a career before working independently or taking on a leadership role. The classroom teacher is dropped into the classroom in a solo leadership position, which, given the demands of today's classrooms due to IDEA, inclusion, 504, etc., as well as social issues and the complexity of student needs, that this is unrealistic. Doesn't the professional educator need to walk before they run - like any other professional? Thoughts? Input?
    I am a graduate student preparing a research paper. My major is education law. My concern is the laws' impact on the teaching profession, whether the laws can, from a practical perspective, be implemented and am concerned about whether there is a lack of support provided for compliance. Are teachers being set-up to fail because what is being asked and expected simply is beyond the single practitioner? Do we need team teaching? Do we need new teacher apprenticeships with the trainee supporting classroom teachers?

I don't have the answers for how to resolve the issues in pubic education. But, I would like the input of those in the field - the 'front lines.' I have invested my retirement in pursuing a graduate degree in Education Law at the local law school. I don't want to imagine that this knowledge is the solution. The solutions must come from within the system. Tell what the options are. What are the answers for insuring our children's future?

Members Online Now

1. Ima Teacher,
  2. Backroads,
  3. bella84,
  4. waterfall
Total: 414 (members: 6, guests: 385, robots: 23)
test