A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 10-25-2005, 03:47 PM
Rookie

NY
Need to decorate a pumpkin

Any quick, creative ideas to decorate a pumpkin for a pumpkin decorating contest??? I feel like I don't have ANY time for this and I have to hand in a decorated pumpkin by Thursday. I have third graders..... any ideas would help! Thank you!

Old 10-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Phenom

Arkansas, USA
2nd Grade All-Boy Teacher
Paint, markers, felt, or if you're really brave carve. If you have a classroom theme, it might be neat to decorate it like that.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:42 PM
Rookie

New England
Do you have something like a bag of craft Jewels or sequins? You could make a spangly pumpkin, maybe even printing out one of the hundreds of pumpkin carving templates on the web, and instead of carving it out, glue on jewels or stencils in those patterns. Glitter would work too.

I suppose you could take a big square of white fabric, and make your pumpkin a ghost halloween costume the same way you would make a kid's last minute ghost costume, cutting out room for eyes and the pumpkin stem. That could be really cute!
Old 10-25-2005, 09:47 PM
Aficionado

Texas
Third Grade Teacher
We are having a contest at school and some have been so darling. I think it's turning into a contest of parents rather than the kids though! One of my kids made a frog with styrofoam eyes and cardboard feet which is absolutely darling and my favorite since my room is decorated with frogs, and others have made a fake fur covered rabbit, a baseball complete with Astros hat, an alien with little alien babies, several little small ones in graduated sizes painted green to make an inch worm, a snowman, Santa pumpkin, the Statue of Liberty, a baby in a basket, a ghost pumpkin with material draped over it, a Rudoph the Red Nosed Pumpkin, Cinderella's coach, a football player with pipe cleaners for the face guard, Mike from Monster's Inc., cyclops, a cowboy pumpkin with a little hay bale and cowboy hat, and several variations of the standard jack o'lantern with the face painted or glued with construction paper. Once in a contest, we made a Garfield pumpkin which didn't take too much work since the pumpkin is already orange! Good luck in your contest.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:43 AM
Comrade

West Virginia, USA
Cute ideas, Teacherintexas!
I have seen people turn the pumpkin on its side so the stem is actually a nose.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:12 PM
Rookie

New England
Hey, I just found this link...you could make a ghost pumpkin by carving one of these!

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar..._for_pumpkins/
Old 10-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Aficionado

Texas
Third Grade Teacher
I forgot about the Tin Man, Minnie Mouse, the werewolf, and the spider. I'm glad I'm not judging this contest. They are all cute.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Enthusiast

Starting to get Stressed!, CO
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherintexas
We are having a contest at school and some have been so darling. I think it's turning into a contest of parents rather than the kids though! One of my kids made a frog with styrofoam eyes and cardboard feet which is absolutely darling and my favorite since my room is decorated with frogs, and others have made a fake fur covered rabbit, a baseball complete with Astros hat, an alien with little alien babies, several little small ones in graduated sizes painted green to make an inch worm, a snowman, Santa pumpkin, the Statue of Liberty, a baby in a basket, a ghost pumpkin with material draped over it, a Rudoph the Red Nosed Pumpkin, Cinderella's coach, a football player with pipe cleaners for the face guard, Mike from Monster's Inc., cyclops, a cowboy pumpkin with a little hay bale and cowboy hat, and several variations of the standard jack o'lantern with the face painted or glued with construction paper. Once in a contest, we made a Garfield pumpkin which didn't take too much work since the pumpkin is already orange! Good luck in your contest.

I used to do this with my 3rd graders- I would have them pick their favorite book character and decorate the pumpkin to resemble the character. It was lots of fun!
Old 10-27-2005, 04:11 PM
Rookie

NY
Thank you so much for your ideas! I ended up decorating it as Pinocchio and it came out pretty cute. Although he is beginning to lose his hair (the paint started to peel). I will take a photo tomorrow and try to display it.

Tags
decorate, pumpkin