A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 08-13-2005, 03:39 PM
Novice

Elementary Teacher
Grandparents day

Does anyone have any interesting ideas for Grandparents day? We would like to invite grandparents in for an afternoon, and would like to have them participate in some sort of activity. Perhaps have the kids read a poem oar sing a song. Does anyone do this now or have done it in the past? This will be only for one grade level-not the whole school.
Thanks for any ideas!

Old 08-13-2005, 04:48 PM
Rookie

Southern California
Our kindergarten team has Grandparents' Day. We have it near Thanksgiving with the thought that if the grandparents are coming for that holiday they might be able to extend their visit to participate. We have it during our regular half day kindergarten. We have several activities set up for the guest and child to do together. They make a leaf whirly-gig. (Paper leaves glued to a paper spiral. They twirl when you run with them.) They make leaf prints with real leaves and paint. The grandparents fill out a questionaire about how many grandchildren they have, how far they've come etc. They make a graph which shows whether the grandparent went to kindergarten or not. I usually have my class sing a couple of songs that we've been learning in class anyway. We do this in our own classes, but the leaf print activity is set up in a vacant room, and monitored by the afternoon teachers.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:16 PM

Florida
Our whole school does this once a year. Each grade performs something - could be a skit, song, poem. Then there is a whole school (only 100 kids) song. Grandma's Feather Bed is a popular one. There is always some kind of display - world map with strings indicating heritage of families, places grandparents have traveled from, etc. Sometimes we do things like a survey or questionaire which kids give their grandparents- what was your childhood like? what do you miss about being a child? what was school like? Once we had a wall display of pictures of kids with their grandparents and did a survey about all the different names kids have for their grandparents (Nana, Noni, MeiMei, etc). We've done full size drawings of grandparents, cut them out and decorated the hallway. We usually honor the grandparent who has the most grandkids, who has traveled the farthest to attend, etc. One year we turned it into an international festival and celebrated the families' heritage with foods from all the countries.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:54 PM
Aficionado

Kindergarten Teacher
Upsadaisy, those are some great ideas. I may need to "steal" some of those for our grandparents day this year! We do the whole school thing too. We have a talent show and the grandparents eat lunch with their grandchildren. Your ideas could easily be incorporated into our day. For kids that don't have grandparents, members from the church are "adopted" out for that child. I would just like to remind Flanny, to have a backup plan for kids who don't have grandparents or ones that cannot attend.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:29 PM

Florida
Oh, yes, we usually call it Grandparents and Special Friends Day. We always have about 1/4 or so of each class who don't have grands attend. The middle schoolers really don't care. They always come back to the classrooms and have snacks and see their child's stuff. It is very sweet. You are welcome to any and all of the ideas, kinderkids!
Old 08-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Novice

Elementary Teacher
Thanks for the ideas. Those sound like great activities. I am concerned about the children without grandparents. so we were thinking about perhaps having a grandparents breakfast before school. Our first graders do this and it is very successful.
Thanks!!
Old 08-13-2005, 11:23 PM
Rookie

Southern California
We often have uncles or aunts etc instead of grandparents. But for the children with no special guest, I arrange adoptions for the day into another family group.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:30 AM
Rookie

Queensland
I experienced Grandparents Day for the first time last year with my children and their Grandparents. The Year ones and twos met with their family at the auditorium where the principal addressed all whom attended. The children presented items such as poems, choir sang a rendition of songs, drama students also presented an item. Morning tea was provided for the Grandparents where they also had time to mingle and meet with the principal. They were then given a guided tour of the childrens classrooms and of course the children had worked very hard on crafts, stories and displays which they took great pride in showing Nanny and Poppy. The Grandparents also had an opportunity to work with their grandchildren doing some craft activities.There was also a photo opportunity for the family-a gesture to remember the day by which was appreciated. This took approximately two and a half hours out of the usual school day. It was a big hit.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Phenom

Midwest
There is a grandparents day website that also has ideas. We did a song from the website. It was cute. Take me to my grandparents went to the tune of take me out to the ball game. I did w/1st graders.

Tags
day, grandparents