A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 11-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Aficionado

Kindergarten Teacher
Anxiety/Panic Attacks

Have any of you dealt with a family member (son or daughter) who experiences these to the point that it required medication? Have they ever gotten better? Just needing some support or a shoulder from someone who has experienced this with a loved one. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Aficionado

OREGON
Kinderkids. Yes, my grandson had very bad anxiety attachs. The first time he had one, I thought he was coming down off drugs. He was on two kinds of meds and saw a counselor. He took the meds for a couple years, and now that he is 18, he has outgrown the need.

The first few weeks were really scarey. PM me if you need some privacy.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Aficionado

Kindergarten Teacher
TY for the reply, Blue. It is very scary to see a loved one go through it.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Devotee

Illinois
Middle School Teacher
It wasn't a son or daughter but my mother suffered from both panic and anxiety disorder for years. Medicine did help but eventually (after 10 years or so) it had gotten so bad that she needed enough medicine that she got addicted. After a LONG rehab/recovery phase she joined a meditation type group and never needed medicine again, and also never had an attack again. So yes, it can get better and medicine can help it for a long time.

It is a very scary thing to witness and I am so sorry you have to go through it. If you want more information on the type of group (or class) my mom took PM me and I can find out more information.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Connoisseur

Louisiana
CHEMISTRY
Kinder--I suffer from panic attacks and have been on meds for several years. They are very few and far between at this point but they are scary for me and they have scared my hubby and kids on several occasions unfortunately.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Aficionado

Kindergarten Teacher
Ty all for your replies. It helps to talk or hear from someone who has been through it either personally or with a loved one. I appreciate all of you willing to open up and discuss it on here. It is so hard to see someone you love go through it and the helplessness I feel is overwhelming.
This happened the first time over two years ago and was treated with meds. I was hoping it would never come back, but unfortunately I was wrong. I think this may be chronic.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Comrade

USA
I have suffered from anxiety attacks before. I had my first one when I was 13 but was not aware that it was anxiety. I had a really tough time in college. With counseling and medication, I have been able to work through most anxiety issues. I haven't had an anxiety attack in a couple of years. They are scary to have and to witness. My parents and my roommates at the time were very worried.

I hope whoever you are worried about is able to get the help they need. Counseling really helped me.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Enthusiast

Georgia
intermediate grades
My son had them. He started with them around 18 and they finally eased up around age 27. Apparently that's a typical age span, although of course they happen at other ages and for other lengths of time. He hasn't had one for quite awhile,and is just now begining to feel back in control.

He took Paxil for about a month and found its side affects to be too much to deal with. When he tried to stop taking it, the withdrawal symptoms were very bad. We've since discovered a lot about Paxil. Look it up on the Internet.

Because of that experience, he stopped taking any daily medicine and instead used a tranquilizer if it got severe. But mostly we both read up on it and discovered ways to deal with it through a different type of breathing, and simply a recognition of what was happening to the body. That, and the care of a doctor who told him he wasn't crazy and that it was a chemical misfiring.

It is a horrible thing to watch someone go through this. Know that it will ease up, and reading about ways to keep it from spiraling out of control will help significantly.

By the way, being prone to panic attacks runs in families.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Devotee

On the West Coast
1st Grade Teacher
I suffer from anxiety attacks too. The first time I had one, I thought I was having a heart attack at the ripe old age of 22. I have never taken meds for them, because they don't adversely affect my well-being, generally speaking, but they are quite unnerving. My way of coping was to more about them, and I kept a journal for a while when I was getting them frequently. I learned what kids of stresses were triggers and I learned how to recognize when one was coming on and how to calm myself back down. Having that bit of control really helped me.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Aficionado

Kindergarten Teacher
I'm calling the doctor today to hopefully get the meds started again. Prozac seemed to help last time. sigh. This is so hard.
Thanks again to everyone for your replies.

Tags
anxiety or panic, attacks