A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 11-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Comrade

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Fall/Thanksgiving Door Decorations

I am wanting to decorate our door/hallway with something seasonal/craft to just change it up a bit. Any ideas? I saw the cutest/simple Candy Corns that I wish we would've done for halloween. Instead ... all of our halloween decorations were inside the room ... so I'm wanting something cute to change it up in the hallway. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Old 11-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Connoisseur

Pre-K
Turkeys with wreaths around their necks! That way you cover both Thanksgiving & Christmas with one shot. I got an email from one of my friends with a house decorated with a Snowman holding a pumpkin TOT bag, a wreath with a turkey on it and the sign stating MERRY THANKSGOWEEN! There were other holiday things on the windows too.
Rebel1
Old 11-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Rookie

Florida
I think it would be cute if you took brown, orange, and other "fall" colors and had your little ones trace their hands, then cut them out and "decorate their turkey." You would put the individual turkeys all over the door or you could create a scene on the door and place each turkey in different spots (i.e. one on top of a rock in the background, one by a tree in the foreground, etc.).
Old 11-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Comrade

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by KinderWonder View Post
I think it would be cute if you took brown, orange, and other "fall" colors and had your little ones trace their hands, then cut them out and "decorate their turkey." You would put the individual turkeys all over the door or you could create a scene on the door and place each turkey in different spots (i.e. one on top of a rock in the background, one by a tree in the foreground, etc.).
Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking of doing! I'm not quite creative enough to do the scene ... but love the idea!
Old 11-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Phenom

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
We do a REALLY great project at my school in kindergarten. We send it home for kids to do with their families, but it could be done at school as well.

The kids get a "Tom the Turkey" and a piece of construction paper. They have to cut Tom out, glue him to the construction paper, and disguise him so he doesn't get caught for Thanksgiving. They come up with the greatest things (football player, clown, cheerleader, etc.). Like I said, we send them home so they come back looking really neat. It's a project that families spend a lot of time and work hard on.

Here is the letter we send home:

Dear Families,
Thanksgiving is just around the corner and the turkeys need your family’s help! As a family, please disguise Tom the turkey so that he will not be eaten for Thanksgiving dinner! Be creative and use any materials you have available to you at home. Anything goes--Tom can be disguised as a doctor, astronaut, farmer, cheerleader, ballerina, a clown, etc….

When Tom is unrecognizable, please cut him out and mount him on the provided sheet of construction paper for durability. Your turkey homework is due on Wednesday, November 5th (at the latest), but you may send it in earlier. When Tom is incognito, he can “hide out” in our hallway! Be sure to check out everyone’s turkey at parent/teacher conferences!

~ Kindergarten Team
Old 11-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Cohort

Illinois
Preschool/Kindergarten
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingPigeon View Post
We do a REALLY great project at my school in kindergarten. We send it home for kids to do with their families, but it could be done at school as well.

The kids get a "Tom the Turkey" and a piece of construction paper. They have to cut Tom out, glue him to the construction paper, and disguise him so he doesn't get caught for Thanksgiving. They come up with the greatest things (football player, clown, cheerleader, etc.). Like I said, we send them home so they come back looking really neat. It's a project that families spend a lot of time and work hard on.

Here is the letter we send home:

Dear Families,
Thanksgiving is just around the corner and the turkeys need your family’s help! As a family, please disguise Tom the turkey so that he will not be eaten for Thanksgiving dinner! Be creative and use any materials you have available to you at home. Anything goes--Tom can be disguised as a doctor, astronaut, farmer, cheerleader, ballerina, a clown, etc….

When Tom is unrecognizable, please cut him out and mount him on the provided sheet of construction paper for durability. Your turkey homework is due on Wednesday, November 5th (at the latest), but you may send it in earlier. When Tom is incognito, he can “hide out” in our hallway! Be sure to check out everyone’s turkey at parent/teacher conferences!

~ Kindergarten Team
What a great idea. We send home paper Christmas trees for the family to decorate. I always love to see how creative they can be. Thanks for sharing this idea.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Comrade

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
OOOOO! I love it! I'm stealing it! THANK SOOOOO MUCH! Is it just a plain turkey printout or outline ... or one with a little detail?
Old 11-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Phenom

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by woobie5 View Post
OOOOO! I love it! I'm stealing it! THANK SOOOOO MUCH! Is it just a plain turkey printout or outline ... or one with a little detail?

If you would like to PM me your email address, I can forward you the turkey we use.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Comrade

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
You're the best!
Old 11-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Phenom

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by woobie5 View Post
You're the best!