A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 10-30-2009, 11:24 PM
Companion

Idaho
3rd Grade Teacher
Successful Canned Food Drive Ideas

I am in charge of our student council this year and will be running a food drive in November. A few ideas we have come up with got shot down so now I am desperately trying to find a successful, simple idea. I don't want to ask the teachers to do very much since we have so much going on right now but I do want it to be a success since it is the only one of the year!

Anyone have suggestions that have worked well in the past?

Old 10-31-2009, 01:42 AM
Rookie

Arizona
Behavior Management
As a student council advisor for many years, I sponsored several canned food drives. Have a competition for the class that brings in the most cans. Pick up the food daily and announce the classes that are in the lead. Have the council members do a walk-a-thon or other-a-thon. Our members would do an eight mile walk along a walking trail. They would get sponsors to pledge one can per mile. Most students would get at least ten sponsors. The members themselves could easily bring in a thousand cans using this strategy. It's also a great time to get together to do something fun. Another idea that worked for us, was to have grocery stores donate large quantities of paper bags. The students then design, copy, and staple a really nice message to each bag telling about the purpose of the food drive and when and where the bags will be picked up. (Sunday morning, before 10 am, by the mailbox.) The more information, bhe better. Have students leave the bags at homes in their neighborhood. I personally placed bags on two streets in my neighborhood, and collected about four hundred cans. Most neighbors were very supportive. Some left additional bags and or boxes of food items as well. Don't forget to have thankyou cards already made up in advance to leave at each residence as they pick up the bag. I hope these ideas help you and others that are trying to organize holiday food drives. Good luck to you.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:12 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
I thnk that what works best for our kids is seeing the face of hunger, and knowing that it's right next door or around the corner.

We ran a food drive last year for Island Harvest-- a local Long Island group. Before we started, we had an assembly and the kids saw a video. The members of the school community actually interviewed some of the homeless from the neighboring communities, and interviewed the people from Island Harvest as to what it's like to be hungry, and as to what it's like to be homeless.

Then, any kid who wanted one was invited to stop by and pick up a brown paper grocery bag. On mine was stapled : "Breakfast items-- cereal, hot chocolate, etc." So I went to the supermaket and filled it up with cereal and oatmeal and hot chocolate and tea bags. Instead of grabbing 2 cans of soup from my pantry, I went to the supermarket with sort of a shopping list.

We displayed the items as they arrived, sorted into food type. I'm in a large school-- over 2,600 kids. We were all breathless at the amount of food that was collected. It was the largest food drive ever held for Island Harvest, and we fed a LOT of people.

We did a similar thing the year before when we had a drive for a NYC homeless shelter: the kids saw a video of the men who lived at the shelter, at what it did and what it hoped to accomplish. Then anyone who wanted it was assigned a particular item: I had "mens size L sweater." We were told that these men deserved the dignity of new items-- that other drives were about used clothing, this was about new. So we got a huge variety of really useful items, not some stuff that no one wanted anymore.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:33 AM
Fanatic

Somewhere in the good ole USA!
maybe you can have a contest where each grade could be in charge of the different types of canned goods...Personally, I'd forget the contest and just have the canned food drive.
Ex:
Kinder = canned milk
1st & 2nd = canned meats
3rd = canned veggies
4th = canned soups
5th = canned fruit

"They may not remember what you taught them, but they'll remember how you made them feel".

Sandra
Old 10-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
Last year the kids decorated paper lunch sacks and took them home, filled them, and returned them full of canned goods. The food bank actually used the bags to hand out food to some of the people with the messages from the kids (no last names). Almost every kid in my class brought their bag back and many asked for more bags.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Comrade

USA
My grade level set up free homework passes( our canned food drive is for a week).

If a student brings in 2 cans they can have a homework pass for one math sheet. So, if they bring in four cans, they don't have any math homework for one night.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:25 AM
Companion

Idaho
3rd Grade Teacher
Thank you for the great ideas! I will bring them to the student council!

Keep the ideas coming!!!
Old 10-31-2009, 10:25 AM
Multitudinous

Ontario, Canada
Grade 7
At my son's university, the students dress up and go door to door with the trick-or-treaters collecting canned food for the local food bank.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Enthusiast

SoCal
High School English Teacher
Our student PTSA does a food drive for our local food bank, and the homeroom that collects the most gets a pizza party.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:25 PM
Enthusiast

Midwest
3rd Grade--Lutheran School
This probably won't help you, but since others are sharing ideas:

The school I ST at did a "Souper Bowl" the week of the Super Bowl. Kids "voted" for which team they thought would win by putting their items in one of the two boxes. Each day the items were counted and the "score" was announced. The kids really wanted to make sure their team "won"

Tags
canned, drive, food, ideas, successful