A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Montessori

Old 10-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Rookie

How do I teach and grade in a combo 1,2, 3 class

Hi,

Ive just been thrown into a Montessori class with no materials or training. I guess Im supposed to figure this all out. It is a 1st , 2nd, 3rd grade combo class. Im all alone. My question is, how do i teach 3 rowdy grades successfully at the same time?

And how do I grade in a Montessori class? I havent been given any guidelines. Is it just like make assessments and make up some sort of report card for them? Is this all my own design that I just kind of make up as I wish? Is that how it works in Montessori? Help me please. Thanks.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Enthusiast

A little off center
Montessori & Orton Gillingham tutor
Wow. I cant believe they wouldn't give you any type of support or information at all.

Montessori schools don't do grades, but we do give assignments to children and then check their work. If the work needs refinements, it's given back to the child to correct.

I have training at the 6-9 level, but have not taught that level. It's a very difficult thing to have to do if you've never had the training. I suggest you see if you can find another teacher at your school to talk with you about what you need to do, or talk to the director and have him/her mentor you.

I don't mean to be offensive, but I'm really surprised you were hired without Montessori training. The materials are very specific to a Montessori school and without the appropriate training, I can't imagine how you'd know how to use something like the bead frame or checkerboard.

See if you can find a mentor either within your school or at another school closeby. That's really the only way you're going to be able to make it work, IMO..
Old 10-21-2009, 02:47 PM

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I have never taught in a Montessori classroom but I have taught k to 8th grade. What I did was broke students into ability groups not grade level groups. It worked out wonderfully.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Fanatic

Broward County Florida
I also am shocked that you would get hired into a montessori position without any training. is the school going to get you the coursework/training?
Old 08-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Newcomer

Florida
Kindergarten Teacher
Hi Mommaruthie,
I am finishing my Montessori training and need help with grammar boxes. I am in Deerfield Beach, I see you are in Broward. Can you contact me at [email]EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead[/email], maybe you could help me understand it.
Thank you,
Susie
Old 08-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Fanatic

Broward County Florida
susie, i am so rarely on atoz but will try to offer you the support you might need. I work/live in weston and will send you a message with my contact info. Perhaps we can walk/talk thru a lesson. Or I can help you to inventory what is there and what you need. ruth

Tags
class, combo, grade, teach