A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 04-24-2005, 07:19 PM
Rookie

Florida
Ideas for Where the Wild Things Are??

I am doing a unit on this book to teach kindergarten kids the difference between real/imaginary and consequences. I have the lesson plan but I am still looking for a few fun things to do: crafts, games, or writing activities. Any new ideas out there? They are a bright bunch, but it's still kindergarten so the writing activities have to be simple and fun! Thanks!

Old 04-24-2005, 07:32 PM
Comrade

new jersey
Preschool Teacher
This is one of my favorite books! I have my kids make wild thing puppets using paper bags, we put bugles (snacks that look like a cornucopia) on our fingers for claws, we make pictures and finish the sentence, "When I feel wild, I..." and I always do a sensory activity and chart what a wild thing would feel like. I grab lots of rough/smooth/hard/soft/different textures and have the kids describe what part of a wild thing's body it could be. For K, you could have them do the activity in pairs and fill out a reporting form. You could make a few columns with the first showing body parts and the matching word. Then a blank next to it for the child to fill in what that part would feel like, or draw their own picture. I'm not sure if that was clear, but I tried.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:55 PM
Rookie

Florida
I like the texture thing. I've not heard of that one before, thanks! We're doing the puppets on Friday!
Old 04-24-2005, 08:08 PM

Florida
Masks
Flip books (3 parts to a page that can mix and match) - monsters
Write down their dreams, make into books or class book

Anyone remember My Pet Monster?
Old 04-25-2005, 09:01 AM
Enthusiast

NJ
As a child I didn't like this book at all. It scared me.
My students love the book and I like Scarlets I idea for the bugles! Since we already read this book I will save the idea for next year.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:43 AM
Connoisseur

When my son was in K they made a mural of the land where the Wild Things were, then each child drew a Wild Thing that was added to the picture. They also did the writing prompt about When I feel wild I..., plus they also made a lunchbag WildThing. I still have it!

LOL. AMK, my Jeannie doesn't like this book, either, for the same reason you didn't!!
She was afraid of monsters for a long time, but I don't know whwew that fear came from. I'm religious about what she's exposed to.
I finally got her over monsters by using a color unit from The Mailbox which used monsters, but instead of their monster pictures I used neon pom poms glued onto wooden ice cream spoons. I added squiggle eyes.

I was surprised it helped her! I was quite proud of both of us!
Old 04-25-2005, 04:10 PM

Illinois
Preschool Teacher
becky, for monsters, my mom had us make "monster toast" when we were little... make "paint" with milk with food coloring added... "paint" the bread with monster faces, then toast. They weren't scary when we made them ourselves.

Tags
ideas, things, wild