A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Multiple Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:03 AM
Newcomer

San Diego, CA
CSET Multiple Subjects:I passed, you can pass too

Ok, so here's the thing. When I first encountered this website all I heard was "I failed" or "This is my 6th time taking the test" etc. I was worried to death about this test. It turned out not to be so bad. I took all three subtests on the same day, and passed them all in my first try. If I can do it, you can do it too. I studied for 6 weeks. The first four were very intense (2-3 hours of studying at least 5 days a week.) But I slacked off during the last two weeks because it was my bday and the following week I had guests in town...so I really only studied for 4 weeks.

I used the Cliffs CSET book as my main outline. This book is as boring as they'll get, but it was a good outline of what to expect.

With this book I used the scholastic books to study the topics in more detail. I also used brainpop.com (For history and science), answers.com, factmonster.com, and socialstudiesforkids.com

Using the cliff's outline, I made my own personal outline complete with pictures (haha, yes I'm an elementary teacher) But the pictures really helped me, and re-writing the outline was much more effective than just reading the Cliff's book. I only rewrote the outlines for the sections I really felt I needed to study more. (For me the history and science.) It took FOREVER for me to rewrite the history section.

Subtest III I studied the least for, hardly at all, in fact.

I also downloaded for $39 an online study guide called ACE the CSET. I would say it was worth the money because it had a lot of the same info as the Cliffs book but in a different format (games, crosswords, flashcards, etc.) So it was a nice break from the traditional study methods. It made it easier to buckle down and study for a longer period of time.

My final words of advice. Try not to focus too much on what other people are saying about the difficulty of the test. I really didn't think it was that bad. I left that day thinking, wow, this was a lot easier than I expected. Rather than wasting time dwelling on the fact that this is supposed to be a hard test, use that time to study. You'll do great! Anyone who wants to know more, feel free to reply to this or email me, I'm always happy to help. Good luck!

Oh yeah,one last thing. The night before the test. Don't study. I know that sounds crazy...but the best thing you can do is relax and get a good night's sleep. Rent a movie, eat some pizza, drink a glass of wine, take a bath, WHATEVER, just do something to relax so that your body is ready to focus in the morning. Also, if you plan on taking all three subtests in one day, take a snack. They will let you take a quick snack and it'll energize you when you start to slow down. Ok...I think that's it! Again, good luck!

Old 04-19-2005, 01:09 AM
Rookie

ca
thanks for your positive note I also passed subtest 1 and III on the first time. However science and math I failed again I scheduled again for May this will be my fifth try. I have met every single requirement CA has except this final subtest II hopefully this 5th time will work out. Thanks for your positive attitude it means alot!!
Old 04-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Rookie

California
To my amazement, I passed on first try too!

Hi CSET folks! I passed all 3 on first try too although I really want to see my full results on paper so that I can believe it! However, unlike the first poster on this thread, I did think it was hard! I left the test completely and totally drained. It was just SO important to me to pass! Fortunately, difficult and impossible aren't always the same thing.

Anyway, I used the Cliff Notes book at first but I really didn't like it. Okay, I hated it! It is very hard for me just to read fact after fact and absorb anything at all. So, I checked out all of the "What Your ____ Grader Needs to Know" books from the library, 3 at at a time. This is where I really was able to get the help I needed because the series is much more reader-friendly. Each grade's book builds upon the prior grades' knowledge and I actually enjoyed reading them. Note: I don't think that these books or the Cliff book have good info about teaching/evaluating reading or spelling!

If you are a parent you may find that some of the child development questions are possible to answer from your own experience with your own children.

As for study practices, my degree is in psychology and I'm really interested in how the mind works. One really good way that I have found to absorb difficult info more easily is to review it right before going to sleep at night. That way my brain processes it while I sleep and it seems to "soak it in" better than at other times of day.

Good luck to you who are taking this exam in the future!
Old 04-24-2005, 08:25 PM
Newcomer

Santa Barbara/CA/USA
I took Section II and III and passed on my first try. I took the entire time to take them. I had plenty of time, and I took my time. I will go for Section I next.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:04 AM
Newcomer

CA
I also passed all three subtests in my first try, and I was also pleasantly surprised that it was not as hard as I was expecting.

I was really nervous about taking all three subsections at the same time because everyone told me that it is extremely hard to pass all three sections if they are taken at once. Well, I decided to take them anyway just to see how I would do, not expecting to pass any of them.

After the test I was absolutely sure that I had failed. I couldn't believe how hard it was. On one of the science essay questions, I couldn't even answer. I wrote three sentences about something mildly related, but I never actually addressed the question. It just goes to show you that they are not looking for you to be a genius, they just want to make sure you have some basic knowledge.

I started studying two weeks before. I use the cliff notes test prep. I didn't think it prepared me well for the history or science portion, but the info for subtest III was good, and so was the stuff for math. I studied about one full hour every night.

So don't get discouraged, and I would encourage you, if it is your first time taking the test, just try all three subtests, because you never know, you may not need that much studying. I am so glad I took all three at once because now I don't have to worry about it.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Newcomer

California
I just want to add my 2 cents and give encouragement to those who are poor test takers. I have passed tests 1 and 3. Unlike some who posted I took only one test at a time and took about 4 hours each time. I was the last to leave the room for those taking only one test.The tortoise instead of the hare. I studied 3 hours each night for 2 weeks. I thought the tests were difficult and I'm glad I spent those many hours studying. I have the worst test left - science and math. But passing the first two has given me confidence that I can do it.
Good luck to us all.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:57 PM
Rookie

california
I also passed all three sections. I find it hard to believe! I can't wait to see my official results. Section II was difficult, but I studied using the same books mentioned before by other members. Study, study, study and you will also pass. Thanks to everyone who offered help at this site. If I can help anyone let me know.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:17 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Well done, dajohn! Don't forget to reward yourself!
Old 10-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Rookie

california
Hello! Thank you for your encouragement. What suggestions do you have for studying for the essay questions for Cset I and II???
Old 10-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Rookie

california
Hello! Thank you for all your encouragement. What suggestions do you have for studying for the essay questions for Cset I and II??? My mind goes blank when it comes to the essay question. I don't know what to study for. Any advice?

Tags
cset, multiple, pass, passed, subjectsi