A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 09-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Cohort

Elementary Principal
Crying in Kindergarten

Okay, teachers, I need your help.

We have a K student who was fine the first 2 days of school. Beginning on day 3, he began to cry for his mom. We are now at day 5.

K teacher has a full time aide and both of them send him up to the office as soon if he is crying.

What are some good interventions you have tried for students who have a hard time adjusting? I only taught K for one year so my experience is limited.

His mom wants him to stay in school because, thankfully, she believes he will not adjust if he comes for him early. By the way, we are a full day program so it is a long day for the little fella.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Novice

Sometimes just being able to hold a picture of their mom or family can help.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Rookie

Ky
Preschool Teacher
I teach preschool, and I had a little guy who cried for his mom when she dropped him off, if he came on the bus he was great...but the last time he cried...I showed him the schedule with pictures and after he saw that, he hasn't cried since.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Aficionado

Kindergarten Teacher
I usually have this happen nearly every year with one of my students. The best thing I can suggest is to ignore it. If the teacher acts like it is no big deal, the child isn't getting reinforced for the behavior.

I would not send the child out of the room. I know it can really be disruptive and nerve shattering, but it WILL stop. Sending him to the office is too much of a reinforcement again of the behavior you want to stop. As long as he isn't banging his head or hurting himself, crying will not do him any harm.

After it has happened twice, or I see it may becoming a habit, I always tell the child, "Oh no, you are a big boy/girl now. This is your job. Mommy and daddy have their job to do too, and when your day is done they will be here to get you. Now when you are ready to do your job, I'd love for you to join us."
I only give that speech once or maybe twice, after that I just say, "no, I'm not going to hear that today. It needs to stop." Then I go on with my day ignoring the crying as much as possible. The child would sit at their table until they have stopped.

Also, I tell the parent this is what I'm doing and not to worry. Their child will be fine. It has always worked.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Connoisseur

Ohio
I agree with kinderkids 100%.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Cohort

Elementary Principal
Thank you so much, ladies. I will offer these suggestions to them. This was a great tool for me to start offering intervention ideas.

Keep em' coming!
Old 09-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Devotee

New York
A schedule for the child to cross things off of, with a small picture of Mom at the bottom, has always worked wonders for me. Eventually I "forget" to make the schedule, and just give the picture, and eventually the picture gets stuck to a cabinet where it can be looked at if necessary, or lost LoL, or simply not needed. After a few days of just the picture and no schedule, if the child seems okay, I will put the picture away and only bring it out if the child asks me about it in the morning. After a while, they just stop asking.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Connoisseur

Connecticut
Kindergarten Teacher
I agree with the others, I think sending the little boy to the office isn't going to help him at all.
I had a little girl last year who cried everyday and I let her draw a picture for her mom when she got upset; then she was fine. I would have mom send in a picture of the family he could carry with him, and ignore it as much as possible!
Old 09-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
It reminded me of a t-shirt I once saw - "There's no crying in Kindergarten!!!!".

Maybe a stuffed animal that they can hold when they come in the room, but only if they are not crying-the stuffed animal doesn't like to hear them cry.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Newcomer

KS
Kindergarten Teacher
I have another question on the same topic: crying. I have a student who is a HUGE cryer. He cries when he's in trouble, when he wants to go home, and sometimes for no reason whatsoever. He does NOT cry himself out. The first time he started crying in the classroom, I tried to let him just get it out of his system, but his crying escalated to the point that, after about 15 minutes of crying, I could not continue teaching (and neither could the other teachers within earshot) until I was able to get someone to remove him from the classroom. He won't listen to a word I say during these tantrums. He won't tell me what he needs to stop crying. His tantrums start extremely suddenly, and I could probably avoid them, but he's such a behavior problem anyways that I'm frequently giving him redirection, which sometimes triggers these fits. I've spoken to his mother about the issue, and she said he had the same problem in pre-k and they couldn't ever figure out anything to do about it. She said he even does it at home, and they are at a loss as to what to do. Please help!

Tags
crying, kindergarten