A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 04-15-2005, 10:58 AM
Newcomer

Exclamation research papers in elementary grades!!

I am teaching library and would like to know the best way to teach the students how to write a research paper. Their homeroom teacher will do it especially, but I was going to supplement her teachings...specifically helping the students write in their own words (and not word for word). Does anyone have ANY suggestions or know of a site I can go to to help me??? It will mainly be 3rd and 4th grade...and maybe 2ng grade as well. Thank you!!

Old 04-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Rookie

CA
www.educationworld.com is great for ideas. My school uses Step up to Writing. Not sure if you have access to that program.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:15 PM

Florida
I found this somewhere on the web and it really works well. Once they have picked their topics, give each child 5 or 6 index cards. Have them write one question on each card. Check to make sure that they don't duplicate questions and cover all the pertinent aspects of the topic. Then give them 4 more cards per question. On each card they are to write one fact which they found that answers that question. On the back of the card, write the source. Do that for all questions, glue onto a board. Then, each question card becomes a topic sentence for a paragraph and each answer card becomes a detail sentence for that paragraph. Lastly, help them write transition sentences and the introduction and conclusion. It is a logical and organized way to teach them how to complete the body of a report.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:44 PM
Fanatic

Broward County Florida
oh, please do a search in archives for fact chart for research reports.
I know i posted this a LOONNNNGGGG time ago. I am off to bed now, but in the a.m. will explain similar to Upsadaisy concept!!!!!
nitey nite
Old 04-18-2005, 09:17 AM
Newcomer

Thank you all for your help!
Old 04-18-2005, 04:05 PM
Fanatic

Broward County Florida
Here It Is!

from archives:

there is a procedure that makes the 'outline' concept a visual, tactile approach.
The Fact chart is what its called. It is a rough draft of their report and kids love the idea that they go to the library with a stack of index cards. (smaller ones) Its less intimidating when you can carrry your report in your hand!
Columns are made on a poster board. At the top the MAIN topics *the first quarter report when i teach the fact chart, i am the one who picks the main topics I usually do a state/country report for first quarter.and the second quater report I will pick three of the five main topics and the student picks the other two. I usually will do a musician or performer for that report.I discuss with the students ideas for the other two topics they need to come up with and they do pretty good with the ideas themselves with minor guidance. The main topics are written down on index cards. ex. If the report is about some famous person: Birth and Childhood, education, career, accomplishments and awards, family and adulthood, Death and Honors. I will have purchased index cards with lines and of different colors. Each topic/column will have its own color. As the child finds information about these topics. Even if its a fact so small, it is written on a index card and placed in the collumn. The child should have written on the correct color of card. A variation is that you do it on white index cards and have markers in the corner or stickers in the corner to represent which column the card should be placed in. I have a requirement that there be no less then five index cards in each column. Since each column becomes its own paragraph in the final draft, I wanted them to know five sentences will add up to a very small paragraph but that it could be bigger...I usually meet with the students with a deadline date and discuss the columns and what might work better in a different column. Then we move it! Then they write it down or type it neatly into the computer and their report is done! Now what the best part is the bibliography concept. As the child collects data from different sources. They need to write the biblio. information on the Sources index card. Then each book/resource is given a symbol such as: the encyclopedia of britanica I choose a triangle, and the atlas of artists book i choose a circle..etc.. Its what the student chooses. When they write down a fact from the resource book they need to put the same symbol on the fact card in the right hand corner. It serves as like a reminder to not plagerize. I hope this is clear I have had the training in this concept in the mid nineties and i always use it for ALL grades. Feel free to contact me for clarity as i am sure I have forgotten something. I usually have rubber banded 35 index cards together and the kids are thrilled when they find out that its all they will need. My goal as a teacher is to make harder concepts appear real easy and less challenging. I have always had variations of the fact chart but bottom line is ANY grade can make a report or multi paragraph writing using the fact chart. For example. First graders can write about themselves and their family. column one is the history of the family, column two is ummmmm student description which i suppose could have a physical description and also where he fits within his family. if there are siblings etc... column three is travels or where they live, column four could be recreation and free time, column five could be dreams and desires for future... I never even say the word paragraph until the cards are in their columns and they are ready to rough draft. Dont forget to let the students present their reports for the entire class or in groups of five they go over their reports so if you have twenty or thirty students then five students will demo their report to their group at the same time that all the other groups of five are reciting their information. Evaluation is completely on the fact chart or the final draft the child returns but uses for his presentation. Enough said, if its not clear A) I apologize B) I dont have on my glasses c) Its easier to show then to explain.
Here are some samples of topics I would use:
Geographical location such as
Country
State
Islands
Famous People such as
Presidents
Performers
Art/Musicican
Inventors
Explorers
Good Luck with multiparagraph writing and reporting. ruth

The fact alone should be on the card this is a way to abbreviate the information they find. It helps the child to concentrate on one concept/fact per card. If you begin to combine facts then 'editing' will be difficult. One fact with supporting info can be on one card. If the column is for family. I would not combine sisters and parents on to one card. You really want the column to fill with each independent idea. Thus, when you use the concept for creative multi paragraph writing, then you dont have CLUTTERED thoughts integrated into a paragraph.

First timers are usually taught what concepts fall under each column. *remember five sentences minimum? Well then if you were doing an essay about yourself, what things could you write about for the first column?.Well, I think you could say about your birthday, where you lived, what kind of things were going on in the world at the time of your birth, were there any complications of your delivery... Then in column two if you were to write about your family... hmmm.. how about including the history of your family as in where they originally came from, if you speak multi languages, do you have siblings, if you eat certain foods from your culture/homeland... column three could include hobbies. what do you do outside of school, lessons you take, collections... column four could be about future, what kind of goals, dreams, who you rely on most to achieve your goals, who inspires you....

I do this type of writing with kinder and they can dictate to me everything, the thought process is most important, to train them to think and remain focused in one thought... First graders I meet with and can help the reluctant writers by suggesting the questions or statements I just listed. For example, the assignment may be to write about a country. If in column two its called culture and you are the student who is stuck... Then i would interrogate and bombard you with questions to promote you to find the info in your resources.... Later in the year the students have to choose their own column topic and many will be lazy/stumped and need me to even assist with that. And, if I do it for them, they have learned nothing, if I brainstorm with them and stimulate them to come up with a topic then we both won!
Words like topic, main idea, paragraphs are replaced with an organizer and its terms such as column, fact, supporting information... good luck.ruth
Old 04-18-2005, 05:36 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Note taking on post-its- Read a passage, close the book, retell what you read, write it on post-it in your own words. Put post it on page where you just read so you can refer back to text if you need additional information. When they write, they write from the post-its, not the book. I just did this with biography reports in grade 2 nd it worked fairly well.

Tags
elementary, grades, papers, research