A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 09-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Cohort

United States
3rd Grade Teacher
STAR Reading Assessment

What do you think about the STAR reading assessment for AR? Although I feel it is fairly accurate in determining students' reading levels, it seems as though that I find a few students each year that do not seem to match with what their STAR results are. For example, I am teaching 3rd grade this year and two students' STAR results have shown them reading at a 5th grade level. I also use other forms of reading assessments in the class and nothing has indicated that they are reading at this high of a level. Does anyone else experience this with STAR?

Old 09-08-2009, 05:11 AM
Comrade

Louisville, KY
5th Grade Teacher
I do not use STAR for two reasons- 1. It is a timed test. 2. There are not picture clues.

I find that DRA is an accurate reading assessment.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:04 AM
Groupie

CA
6th Grade Teacher
I use STAR as an estimate, or starting point for new students. I don't carve the results in stone, if you know what I mean.lol
Old 09-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Virtuoso

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
The problem I typically have is someone purposefully getting wrong answers so they will have a low reading level, and, in turn, a low point goal.
I make them redo it if that happens.

I don't think it is super-acurate, but it can give a ball park.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Habitué

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffe326 View Post
The problem I typically have is someone purposefully getting wrong answers so they will have a low reading level, and, in turn, a low point goal.
I make them redo it if that happens.

I don't think it is super-acurate, but it can give a ball park.
Our kids do the same thing! The teachers before me base their accepted books solely on the STAR test. By the time I get them, they are blowing the test on purpose! My only enrichment student this year scored a 4th grade level!

I don't find it very accurate either. There's no way, for example, that out of 18 5th graders, 17 of them are reading on a 12th grade level and yet can't pass the tests for the basal reader or complete comprehension stories successfully.

You can see progress if you test at the beginning and then the ending of the year, but I make sure to tell the parents to take the results with a grain of salt!

Tags
assessment, reading, star