A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 09-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Comrade

Florida
4th Grade Teacher
Books Written for the Older Struggling Reader?

I have a wonderful girl in my 4th grade class this year, who was retained last year. She is being evaluated for learning disabilities, and currently reads on a DRA Level 20, which is a second grade level.

She is 11 years old, and she tries so hard. I want to find some good books for her to read during independent reading. She is emotionally mature, and wants to read books like "Hanna Montana" and other books for tweens. However, she struggles and has so little comprehension when I ask her to read those books to me.

Does anyone know of any fun chapter books written for the struggling older reader. She really doesn't want to read Junie B. Jones and other "babyish" books. (Which is funny, because I have to convince some of my best readers to pick something BESIDES Junie!)

It wouldn't be so hard to find her interesting nonfiction books, but she really wants those books so many young girls love about school, friends, crushes, etc.

Any suggestions? Thanks, in advance!

Old 09-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast

You will want to look for books called "High/ Low" books. It means high interest low readability. Lots are written around the second grade level.

I cannot think of any for girls as I have very few struggling girls and my students do not seem to be interested in teen or tween stuff.

The librarian can help you find some. I'm sorry I can't help more.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Companion

Hartlepool North East UK
A fantastic teacher !
"The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas" .My lot loved it to the end...changed a few of their styles too !
Old 09-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Groupie

2nd Grade Teacher
Most of my students are on the 1.5-2.5 reading levels. I need to find age appropriate material too. I teach 4th grade.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:51 AM

Florida
You may want to consider audio books with texts that the students can read along with. It can help bridge the gap between their actual ages and their reading levels.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:54 AM

Florida
Here are some websites that offer books on tape. Using these has helped me in the past when I've had kids with low reading levels:

http://www.recordedbooks.com/ for purchase or rent
www.simplyaudiobooks.com/
http://www.booksontape.com/
Old 09-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Companion

Missouri
lovetoread
Could she pair up with a younger classroom and read to them? I know my kiddos loved it when the big kids came and read to them. It was extra practice for the older students and a big ego booster for them to have young students look up to them. They felt a sense of accomplishment in a subject in which they often struggled.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Enthusiast

tn
5th Grade Teacher
I have a lot of struggling readers this year and have started a new basket in my library called "quick reads". I have put a bunch of shorter chapter books I have found. It is my most popular basket so far. I can post some of the titles if you are interested.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Aficionado

New Jersey, US
Looking for a job
Books on tape are very useful for dyslexics.

Hopefully if the student is dyslexic, they receive appropriate remediation like LMB or OG
Old 09-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Comrade

Florida
4th Grade Teacher
Thanks for all the ideas. I'll be trying them out! I really want to help this kid learn to love reading.

Tags
books, older, reader, struggling, written