A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 08-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Rookie

CA
Special Education Teacher
Jobs Outside Teaching

Hey All,
This is my first post and I'm hoping for some beneficial information and words of wisdom!
I'm not sure where to start...I'm pretty much at my wits end. I started teaching about 9 years ago in Special Education. After teaching for 6 years, I started feeling really burned out and unhappy with various things. Special ed isn't easy! I started wondering if teaching was really for me, and wanted to try something else, while I was still young enough to do so, and not married or tied down to any one area. So, I voluntarily left teaching, which led to a 2 year nightmare. I literally applied to jobs of all types. From entry-level office to retail, publishing, HR, etc. I was originally told since I had a BA degree in Liberal Studies, I could do almost anything. I understood that I'd have to start from the bottom, but figured if I worked hard, I'd make my way up wherever I landed. Well, I could NOT get a job. I was told I was either over-qualified, based on all my education, and the fact that I was a teacher for so many years. Or, I was told that I didn't have enough (or any) experience in anything else, besides teaching! I used up all my savings, had to move back home with my parents, and pretty much lived a nightmare. I finally decided to go back to teaching this past year. I ended up having a great year, and while it was stressful, I made good friends and pretty much enjoyed going to work each day. I looked forward to going back to school this coming year. Well, due to budget cuts and low enrollment, I ended up being bumped when my district cut a ton of people. Since it was my first year in the district, I was one of the first cut. A woman with more seniority bumped me, when her position was cut. So, here I am, once again, without a job. I've been looking for weeks, and applied to a few openings, but there is just nothing out there. Special ed. used to be somewhat "safe", but not any longer. There used to be Special Ed. positions open, even when gen. ed. positions were so hard to come by. Not anymore. It's insane. There is simply nothing out there! I am so angry and upset and honestly just done with education. I need a career with job security. My problem is that I've been down this road and didn't get anything! I know I'm not the only teacher who has left teaching for one reason or another. They do it all the time. What I need to know is what can I do, or where can I go to be hired in a non-teaching position??? And, I'm not talking about part-time work as a waitress or clerk, while I continue to look for a teaching job. It's not going to happen. I can't not have a full-time job after the 2 years I went through. I've barely got enough money to live another two months at most. I honestly am frantic, and need a job and money to pay my bills. I'm also wondering what you guys do while you are searching for jobs? Do you collect unemployment? I know many work part-time jobs or sub, but that doesn't pay the bills! At least not for me. Cost of living is high where I am. I'm not married, so I don't have a husband to support me. Subbing is a joke. The districts are so bad off around here, that they are putting notices out letting people know that they aren't even hiring new subs! That's not enough security for me. I have to have a steady paycheck. I really just want to start over. I just feel lost as to what field I could go into with a background in teaching. I'm happy to go back to school for a few classes if necessary, but I can't get a whole other degree!
Please help me with information or advice on getting a good job-actually starting a new career outside of teaching! And, how do I get experience in another field, when they won't give me a chance!
Sorry for the length of this, I just had to vent my frustrations and worries that have been building! Thanks in advance!

Old 08-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Novice

WI
Still looking
Hi Bseballchick! This is a great place to come and vent. There are lots of supportive people here.

Have you looked into collecting unemployment? You may be eligible since you did not leave your last job willingly. That would be the first option I would look at.

As for a job with security...I don't know that such a thing exists. However, I know that there are some fields, like nursing, that you can go back to school for and start working fairly quickly. My sister just finished a short class (I think a month?) to get her first nursing license. I don't know all of the logistics of it, but I know that she will be eligible to work as a nurse by November.

There are lots of people on this board who have considered going into nursing, so maybe they will have more insight. That is the only field I can really think of that you can get into quickly that has some amount of job security.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Connoisseur

Houston, Texas
Self-Contained K-4 EBD
I don't have any advice to offer really because I am also at my wits end concerning the future my career...whatever career it ends up being.

This past spring, I started contemplating going into the healthcare field because of the job prospects and it's a field that would allow me to help people, which is essentially what draws me to any profession. I thought more and more about all this throughout this past summer. I first contemplated becoming a R.N., which would take me approximately 2 1/2 years and I'd end up with an A.S.N.. Ultimately though, I'd rather become a R.D., which after much research over the past week or so, I found that it would take me the same amount of time. I'm in the process of updating records with my local community college so that come spring, I can register for courses without any holds. I will have to complete quite a few basic biology, and chemistry, and one math course since I didn't have those with my first B.S.. I'm also planning to schedule an advising appointment with an advisor at the university I would finish my second B.S. at. As I'm doing all this research, I find myself thinking it's all crazy, but it's no different than if I was going for a M.Ed.. It's just scary because I'm venturing into a different field, but it's somewhat the same because I'd be teaching/helping people in regards to nutrition and health, which is a passion of mine. Spending more money on education also scares me, but I just know in my heart that I won't be in education (as a classroom teacher) for long enough to justify getting a M.Ed. and I know if I'm going to spend money on more education, it should be towards something that will have a better return. In my heart, I know that I'll still be in the education field, but in a different capacity - educating those about their nutrition and health. That's the script I've been composing and plan on using when my family and friends question me about going back to school to get a second B.S.. Ha! My new plans aren't set in stone, but I know times ticking.

I'm sure you feel lost. I feel lost. I think everybody that isn't able to work in the field their degree is for feels lost at first until they find something else that feels like home. I've had to do some serious soul searching lately about what direction I want to go.

I know you said you can't pursue another degree, but what can you do to gain more knowledge and skills in a certain field you're interested in? Could you attend a technical college for a couple evening/weekend courses for a semester?

What else are you drawn to doing? Start there and see what your options are for getting a foot in the field.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Rookie

CA
I've thought about going into social services because I like helping people. It wouldn't be too far away from what I do now. Working to help kids/families, being a case manager or something to that effect. However, I don't know what degree or courses I'd need. I also don't know what the job prospects are in that field. I'd really like to do something where I can use my teaching experience and experience working with families. I had heard about home-hospital teachers and figured that would be perfect. However, I don't know where to start or where to find those jobs!
I'm also pretty interested in Human Resources, but found out last time I was unemployed that unless you have a business degree or experience, they don't want you.
It's pretty frustrating. As for the unemployment, I filled out something online. Not sure if I'll get it or not. I've never done this before. Last time I just lived off my savings, but this time, I'm worried that I'll run out of money before I find something.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with these issues. Sometimes you can feel very alone. Thanks for the support!
Old 08-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Virtuoso

Honestly right now I have no clue what I'm going to do this year. I could sub and stay at my part-time job and continue to live at home, which I know is the best option if I want to find a teaching job next year. But I really don't know if next year I'll have any more luck finding a position and really don't know how long I want to wait and hold off on starting a new path if I never find anything. It just seems like it would be easy to keep on saying that I'll give it just one more year to find a teaching job.

I also really want to be back on my own again and at my age (24) I feel like I "should" be out on my own. My mother is also pressuring me to give subbing another year, but I really don't want to wait around for years for a dream that may never come to fruition. I am probably going to try to go full time at my grocery store job and work my way up to management if I don't decide to give it another year. Right now it is just so tough to find any kind of entry level employment in any field. I'm sorry to not be of any help to you, but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Enthusiast

NY of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bseballchick View Post
Hey All,
This is my first post and I'm hoping for some beneficial information and words of wisdom!
I'm not sure where to start...I'm pretty much at my wits end. I started teaching about 9 years ago in Special Education. After teaching for 6 years, I started feeling really burned out and unhappy with various things. Special ed isn't easy!
This describes me exactly this past year. Unfortunately, I have no choice but to continue working until I find something else. I have certification in another area so I am hoping I won't have to stay in special ed forever. Being burned out is not fun. I am also thinking of going back to school soon. I hope you find something that suits you!
Old 08-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Rookie

CA
Jessica-Those are my feelings exactly. I should/definitely NEED to be back out on my own. I also do not want to get stuck in the "just one more year", pattern. Out here, the districts are telling people that next year's layoffs and budget cuts are going to be even worse than this year! So, I really have no hope that things will get better. I can't imagine waiting years and years for a teaching job that may never come about. Sadly, I think that it's time for me to move on. However, with the economy being what it is, you are right about finding entry level jobs. My chances are probably slim to none. So, with all that being said, what are my options??!! I'm educated-2 classes away from my masters, and for what?? To not be able to get a good job doing anything??!! It's just so maddening! If I were you, and had a college degree with a job that could lead to management, I'd totally do it! You are fortunate to have something. I fear that I won't even be able to get a retail job! In college, I worked retail and when I left because I was getting ready to graduate, my manager asked me to reconsider and told me I could work up to management in only a couple of years! Now, I think if I had only done that, how different my life would be. Fast forward 9 years, and I'd do anything for an entry-level position that could lead to something bigger!
Anyway, thanks for sharing. I appreciate it!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Aficionado

OREGON
How about a tec school for health care options. My daughter explored going into a program that was a few months long, to get training to be a medical assistant.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:29 AM
Rookie

Utah
High School Teacher
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I am in the same jobless situation. One thing that you could consider is Dental Assisting. I worked my way through college as a dental assistant. It's not a glamorous job but it pays fairly well depending on the location and type of dentistry. The hours are great. Also some dentists can offer benefits and will work with your schedule if you decide to go into Dental Hygiene, which is a two year associates degree and pays about $35 to $40 an hour. Also, with a degree in Education, you will become certified to teach Dental Hygiene at the university level. I did not go to school to become a dental assistant but I found a willing and patient doctor who trained me. It's not as great as a teaching job but it's a steady income. Good luck!
Old 08-29-2009, 12:37 AM
Rookie

CA
Megawinn-Thanks for the advice, but no way!! I could never work in the medical field in any way, shape or form! Just not for me!

I'm actually thinking of making an appointment with a career counselor at the university I got my credential from. I just feel so lost, and feel like I need some guidance as to what I can do. Has anyone ever tried going to one of these? If so, did it help? I'm pretty much desperate right now! I've been thinking about getting a Library Services Credential, or checking into a Masters in Social Work.
If I go back to school, I'll still need a job and a decent income, so then I'm back at square one: who will hire me??
Yikes, this is the worst feeling!

Tags
jobs, teaching