A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 08-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Newcomer

5th grade guided reading groups

Please help! I am teaching 5th grade and am in need of some good ideas to keep my students busy while teaching guided reading. Our grade level has decided to have the students switch classes for their core subjects and I am the reading teacher. I will teach 3 classes of 28-30 students. Any ides will be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Comrade

Oregon
4th Grade Teacher
You might try searching A to Z forums for "daily 5." This is a framework to organize your reading time and has the students who are not in your group working on silent reading, journaling, partner reading, word work, or listening station. A book I recommend is Guiding Readers and Writers by Fountas and Pinnell. It has lots of ideas on how to teach guided reading and what other kids can be doing.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:21 PM
Newcomer

Thank you.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:10 PM
Newcomer

MI
5th Grade Teacher
I did guided reading groups last year with my 5th graders and received a lot of help from my reading teacher in how to set it up. (She had her own class, so she wasn't in my class at the time, just helped with set up.) For the first 10 minutes I did a whole group read aloud. Then I met with one group for 15 mins while other students were completing centers or discussing their literature circle books. I then switched groups. It worked great. My centers were from Debbie Diller's book (sorry I can't remember the title right now). They were easy set up. I also had a checklist of the centers I wanted the students to complete by the end of the week. Good Luck!
Old 09-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast

tn
5th Grade Teacher
I have an anchor group that works at their seats (usually on something quiet), and 2 other groups that work on an activity away from my table. Usually something that involves skill practice or vocabulary.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Fanatic

North Carolina
2nd grade teacher
Centers can be tough in 5th grade, but when done correctly (it takes a TON of patience to "train the troops") it can be worth it. I have 5-7 centers running at the same time. I meet with 3 groups for 20 mins each. I also recommend Diller's book.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Companion

New Jersey
I've read F & P, Diller, Daily 5, Daniels... just about everything.

I still think the Book Whisperer free reading method is the answer for 4th grade and up. I'm beginning my campaign AGAINST guided reading!
Old 09-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Comrade

I started book blogging with my 4th graders. They are journaling their independent reading. I start by giving them prompts or objectives we are doing for reading workshop and they journal daily for about 5 minutes. It may include discussing the character in their story, talk about the setting, what did they visualize, how do they rate the book and why, etc.... Aside from journaling, sometimes, I will give them various concept maps that I would like them to build.

Tags
5th, grade, groups, guided, reading