A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 07-30-2009, 07:35 PM
Connoisseur

NE Illinois
Elementary Teacher
Make-up makes me tired!

Does anyone else have this?

I used to not wear much make-up at all. And I still prefer to not wear it. But I'm older, not as pretty as I used to be (not that i was a beauty-but my youthful looks are gone.), and I have to admit... I need it now. I like it when I have it on (and with a new hair-cut) I look really nice for my Drop-ins.

But.... and this happens EVERYTIME that i wear eye make-up. I feel tired, and it's tough to keep my eyes open by mid-afternoon. I'm wearing eye-liner (not the paint type..but more the pencil-crayon type). Light powdered eyeshadow, and mascara---but not a ton. My eyes don't ITCH or aren't irritated...it's just they feel like I need a nap.

Is this normal? (Maybe it's why i prefer NOT to wear make-up.) As i say, I need to wear this stuff if I'm going back into teaching daily.

Anyone deal with this? Any suggestions?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Connoisseur

GED & Science Teacher
That is an allergic reaction. If your makeup is new and fresh, try a better quality brand or natural brand.

If I use anything but fresh, high quality eye makeup, I get the same thing. The eye liner is the most likely culprit. Also always wash your brushes.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
I agree-- try something hypo-allergenic.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Devotee

Canada
Jack of All Trades
I'd say try a better brand... a department store brand like Clinique or Mac might be better for you. It costs more, but I wear Clinique and I can honestly tell you that I spend less money on make up (I mean, sure I spend 33$ on foundation, but only buy it once every four or five months as opposed to every month with Cover Girl, and my 30$ bronzer is in year 3 and still as good as ever!).
Old 07-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Maven

Southern California
SLP Grad Student & 3 Other Jobs
Hmmm, I've never experienced this & I wear contacts w/ my makeup.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Enthusiast

SoCal
High School English Teacher
I really can't wear eye makeup anymore, but I've recently discovered that Physician's Formula Organics mascara is tolerable for a few hours.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Phenom

Northern CA
5th Grade
I also don't care to wear make-up. I only put it on for very, very special occasions. And even then, it's just mascara, lip gloss and pink glitter eyeshadow (think.... my avatar . It makes my face itch-even the best non-allergenic brands. I just hate having that layer on my face. So I feel for you.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Phenom

You don't have to wear makeup, I know a lot of women who don't and they look great. I wear very little, only some eye-liner and a little mascara. Lipstick when I thnk about it. My eyes are getting that drooping skin between my eyebrows and eyes. I just hate it and have considered surgery...I'm not into pain though.

I bet you have great skin, accentuate that.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Phenom

Northern CA
5th Grade
And you look great, too, Hoot! Your facebook pictures are SO cute. I love picturing you when I read your posts-you are the kind, loving teacher I wish I had!!
Old 07-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Connoisseur

NE Illinois
Elementary Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot Owl View Post
You don't have to wear makeup, I know a lot of women who don't and they look great. I wear very little, only some eye-liner and a little mascara. Lipstick when I thnk about it. My eyes are getting that drooping skin between my eyebrows and eyes. I just hate it and have considered surgery...I'm not into pain though.

I bet you have great skin, accentuate that.
A friend's mom had that done. It's called hooding (when you eyelids start to droop...and yeah, i have that. I'll need to do something eventually)

Anyway... the mom looked INCREDIBLE after it was done. Very awake...and beautiful.

Tags
makes, makeup, tired