A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 07-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Groupie

Interview for First Grade

I just got a phone call to set up an interview tomorrow at 9:30 for a first grade position. I did not do any of my practicums or student teaching in first grade and I'm nervous about this. I've subbed in first grade a lot but I'm not sure what to say if they ask about reading groups and things like that. I know I know it but I guess I just need some advice (confidence boosters that I can do this). Any 1st grade teachers want to give me some insight into first grade?? Reading groups, discipline, etc? I'm very nervous about this. I've been mostly applying to intermediate elementary school grades where I'm more comfortable but I feel out of my element.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Fanatic

Texas, USA
Teacher/Instructional Coach
Just review your reading/writing workshop lit. All districts are using this approach to student learning. Brush up on Lucy Calkins and mention differentiated instruction, small group teaching strategies, guided reading, and about how assessment should drive your instruction. They may ask how you assess students to put them in small learning groups and I would def talk about miscue analysis, text leveling, and inclusion of special needs students. I taught for grade for many years - LOVED it! Hope to teach it or K5 again one day. Of course, I LOVE my new team of teachers so we will see.... ALL THE BEST! Girl, you are getting MIGHTY popular all of a sudden! Isn't it nice to have some options in your life?????
Old 07-29-2009, 08:12 AM
Groupie

SCT, thanks! I'll def spend the afternoon/evening prepping for this one and I'll look up Lucy Calkins...never heard of her but very interested to! I'm going this morning to drop off resumes and maybe go find a new blouse to go under my suit jacket. My daughter swears that the shirt I have worn is bad luck and I need to change it! 11 yo's! I hope to continue with this new found "popularity" so that I can choose which offer I want to take! : ) Teachers are due back next week so I think they are trying to get us into place before then, which is good for a new teacher like me!
Old 07-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Virtuoso

Good luck!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Habitué

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Middle School Teacher
In my opinion, good teaching strategies work in all grades, you just have to differentiate

In your mind, what do you imagine would work best with helping kids learn to read? I bet what you are thinking is on par with what 1st grade teachers do.

Own this interview. You may not have taught first grade YET, but you have a solid background in ele ed, that has prepared you to be a great classroom teacher.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Groupie

Thanks, Jessica26 and racheaelski. I am prepared for this. I know it. I am K-6 certfied...I'm just surprised I got the interview considering it seems they like to pigeon hole you into primary or intermediate grades here based on your student teaching. I just want to wow them!
Old 07-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Guru

Southern NJ
2nd Grade Teacher
You can do it!!! Lucy Calkins has a great way of teaching writing to kids. We use her units of study in our school

I'm moving to first and I was told to be prepared to model everything Also, I plan to use as much positive reinforcement as possible. Its a big year in terms of reading, so I am looking into different ideas for word study and phonics.

Good luck!!! Sorry I'm not much help, but you may also want to look over the 1st grade thread for ideas.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Phenom

It's a huge year for reading and some kids will come in barely at a kinder level and others at a third grade level.

Leigh is right about modeling and I would also say character education is important. You could talk about how you might work that into class meetings. We also really try to get kids to work independently and be responsible for their learning. Note the word "try" because it is not really easy in this grade.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Companion

Ohio
1st Grade Teacher
I would just say go into as much detail as possible in terms of how you would set up your reading, writing, & math instruction. Talk about centers and small groups (even in math). You want to draw a picture in their heads what your room & a typical day would look like. Have a clear behavior plan ready in your mind (or in your portfolio) and be prepared to talk about it at length. Rapport with students is also huge, so provide examples of how you would achieve that.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Multitudinous

Texas
Good luck!!!!!!

Tags
grade, interview