A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 07-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Companion

Difference between Teaching Assistant and Instructional Aide?

I found 2 job postings, one with the title of Teaching Assistant and one with Instructional Aide. Normally, I see these titles as interchangeable, but they are for the same district and one requires a Bachelor's while the other just requires an Associate's or passing ParaPro Assessment grades. I e-mailed the Superintendent's secretary (her contact info was on the HR page) to ask, but I thought I'd also ask here...any ideas what the difference might be? The postings didn't list grade levels or specific subject areas, either.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Connoisseur

NE Illinois
Elementary Teacher
I think there is a wide variation even WITHIN the same name. I was called for an Instructional Assistant position and found out there were two positions - same titile. One was a one on one pull out/push in situation. Traveling from room to room, and the other was a self-contained more severe special-ed situation. (The first I don't mind-if i have to, but the second - I'm not interested in.)

I think the job could be either of those, but also it could be a co-teaching (but not on an equal level) situation in ONE classroom. This last description would be the best for some-one wanting to use the job as a stepping stone to a classroom teaching position of their own.

I think the best that one can do is simply to ask when they call to for an interview (or calling the office and asking in advance YOURSELF), "exactly what does THIS job entail?"
Old 07-28-2009, 07:58 AM
Fanatic

Texas, USA
Teacher/Instructional Coach
In my home state there was no difference. The titles were interchangeable. But that was in SC. Hope this helps.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:16 AM
Groupie

Not sure what the difference is but do they pay differently? I mean the TA requires a bachelors so I would think the pay would be better....
Old 07-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Virtuoso

In some districts around where I live aides are basically one-on-ones for students with that listed in their IEPs, while assistants have to have teacher assistant certification and are usually for special education classrooms. But this can change so much district to district. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Companion

Thanks for the input! The difference in pay is about $2/hour, so not much.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Connoisseur

Illinois
Inclusion Aide
In both districts that I have taught a teacher's assistant was an aide there to assist the teacher, generally in a special ed. or kindergarten classroom. An instructional aide was assigned to help instruct students either in a one-on-one capacity or for reading/math instruction.

Tags
aide, assistant, difference, instructional, teaching