A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Companion

TX
Special Education Teacher
Setting up Writer's Notebook..HELP ME!

I’d like to set up writer’s notebooks this year. I’ve never done one. I’m reading Mechanically Inclined and have a few questions about the set up.

What is a fly page?
How do you separate the sections in a composition notebook?
How would a student quickly know where to locate notes on commas for example?

Also, if you use another format other than what’s in Mechanically Inclined, please share.

Thanks

Old 07-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Rookie

USA
i don't know what a fly page is, and I havent heard of this book...but last year I did a four tab system and it worked great!

First day we used them students divided the composition book into 4 sections word collection(which is spelling words and word lists), ideas(brainstorming), references(things from books, definitions and other refs), craft(actual grammar and writing lessons). I didnt come up with this on my own, i learned it in a writing class.

They had a table of contents for each section and each section had a tab at the top (a sticky note works fine). They numbered all the pages.

Then when we did an activity I would say "craft" or whatever and they would go to that table of contents, record the lesson and then write the corresponding page number. Then if they wanted to find it later they went to the table of contents and could see that commas was on page 5.

It worked great...once they were accustomed to it, I couldn't fall down on the job because they would always ask "what section?"

hope that helps...
Old 07-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Groupie

CA
6th Grade Teacher
If you want something more permanent than a sticky note, any office supply store sells adhesive tabs.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:50 PM
Companion

TX
Thanks, guys!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:50 PM
Habitué

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Middle School Teacher
I am reading Notebook Know-How by Aimee Buckner, and I totally prefer her style of notebook set up. It's less complex- kids write freewrites, etc from front to back, and they glue in their mini-lessons and take notes from back to front. Not a page is wasted. Buckner explains that students should be so familiar with what they are writing that the can thumb to a particular page to find a story they want to use. Alternatively, they can use post-its or paper clips if they would like.

I just got the book yesterday, and I am loving it!
Old 07-28-2009, 04:54 AM
Connoisseur

Illinois
7th Grade LA
I second the Buckner book (I also loved her book on readers' notebooks called Notebook Connections) and also Ralph Fletcher's Lessons for the Writer's Notebook.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:13 AM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by quesoqueen View Post
i don't know what a fly page is, and I havent heard of this book...but last year I did a four tab system and it worked great!

First day we used them students divided the composition book into 4 sections word collection(which is spelling words and word lists), ideas(brainstorming), references(things from books, definitions and other refs), craft(actual grammar and writing lessons). I didnt come up with this on my own, i learned it in a writing class.

They had a table of contents for each section and each section had a tab at the top (a sticky note works fine). They numbered all the pages.

Then when we did an activity I would say "craft" or whatever and they would go to that table of contents, record the lesson and then write the corresponding page number. Then if they wanted to find it later they went to the table of contents and could see that commas was on page 5.
Commas wouldn't be a craft lesson though, it would be 'conventions' but I'm guessing you are using this as an example...
It worked great...once they were accustomed to it, I couldn't fall down on the job because they would always ask "what section?"

hope that helps...
The notebook described above seems more like a 'traditional' NOTE book to me...
I follow the Columbia Teachers College Reading and Writing Project strategies for teaching how to use a writers notebook. Spelling and word study are not in my kids' writers notebooks, also references could be in their writers folder...A writers notebook is kind of a working journal...students 'live as writers' and gather all kinds of entries..Kids personalize the outside of their notebooks and pour out their feelings, their thoughts, wishes and dreams inside their notebooks as they try out different genres of writing, work on their craft using mentor authors, give our mini lesson a 'try' and grow as writers. I would recommend Lucy Calkins' The Art of Teaching Writing,and Units of Study as well as Ralph Fletcher's A Writer's Notebook if you are interested in the workshop approach following the TC philosophy.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:59 AM
Companion

Suburban Altanta
6th Grade Teacher
I use Jeff Anderson's approach to teaching grammar and Aimee Buckner's approach to using the Writer's Notebook (I also like her reader's notebook book: Notebook Connections). I use my notebook a little differently: we go through one notebook every semester, and I have the the writer's notebook from front to back and the reader's notebook from back to front. That way, students are only responsible for 1 composition book. The beauty of the notebooks, though, is that you can set them up however YOU want to.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Habitué

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Middle School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleGradesLA View Post
I use Jeff Anderson's approach to teaching grammar and Aimee Buckner's approach to using the Writer's Notebook (I also like her reader's notebook book: Notebook Connections). I use my notebook a little differently: we go through one notebook every semester, and I have the the writer's notebook from front to back and the reader's notebook from back to front. That way, students are only responsible for 1 composition book. The beauty of the notebooks, though, is that you can set them up however YOU want to.

You are taking the words out of my mouth!
Old 07-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Companion

TX
Queso-I love how you set things up. I like the idea of the sticky notes.

Rachael- I just checked the price on Amazon…not too bad. I’m going to order it too. Thanks!

Middle-I like how you put that. I was thinking that too. I was getting stressed out, but figured it’s best to tweak it the way I like and what fits my class.

Tags
notebookhelp, setting, writer