A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > High School

Old 07-19-2009, 12:10 AM
Companion

the South
High School Teacher
Interactive notebook for English

I have a new job this year - teaching 10th grade English in a program for struggling students. I am just beginning to research interactive notebooks, and they sound like a good idea. I'm just worried that this might be too juvenile for my students. Most of the examples I've seen appear to be middle-school or younger.

I don't have many details yet, except I know we'll be doing literature and working on the TAKS objectives. I don't think there is a curriculum for grammar or vocabulary, but I plan on incorporating those into the literature. Has anyone used interactive notebooks for high school students?

Old 07-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Rookie

North Carolina
High School Teacher
Hey ambritlit,

Like you, I will be implementing ISNs in my high school classroom. However, I teach Spanish. I figure first semester will be trial and error since, as you said, most of the examples for younger students or history classes. I have decided on a rubric and finishing up my handout for the notebook. I am not sure how my students will receive this but I think it will be easier on everyone!
Old 07-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Rookie

Texas
High School Teacher
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum as well as this concept. It looks like a pretty cool idea. I am a first year 10th grade W. History teacher and I think this would be interesting to at least try and see if works well. How would ya'll score this or would you score it? If not well how do you know they are doing it?

To respond to the posters question, I honestly don't think they will think it is juvenile as long as the material you cover is on their level. I think with Literature kids will find it interesting to interpret the events how they see them (though they probably won't ever admit :-D) I also feel like it could be fun for you to see their take on the concept you just taught.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:16 AM
Habitué

Fifth Grade American History
I think with highschoolers you would offer even more choices for the student side assignments, allowing them to choose what fits their personality and learning style. If you are concerned about the coloring, always make sure you offer a writing choice as well

socteach, here is my reference page on interactive notebooks:
http://teacherweb.com/SC/LadysIsland...Gannon/ap6.stm

there are a number of older rubrics there

and a recent blog post on how I'm grading this year if it will help:

http://mrsgannon.wordpress.com/2009/...ing-notebooks/
Old 07-27-2009, 06:29 AM
Devotee

Mid-Michigan
Middle School Teacher
It is because of ancientcivteacher that I have become very involved wtih interactive notebooks. She does amazing things with hers!

I LOVE your blog!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Companion

the South
High School Teacher
Thanks for your responses - I "lost" this thread and couldn't ever seem to get back to it. LOL

I am still trying to decide what I'll do. I'm a bit overwhelmed right now, as I'm going from private to public school and everything seems much different. I may stick with my familiar plan for this year and try to branch out next year with the interactive notebooks.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:49 AM
Habitué

Fifth Grade American History
Thanks, wig! A friend of mine talked me in to trying it and including pictures - I guess everybody needs a hobby

ambritlit - you might just want to try using the assignments this year as part of your regular teaching, just to get a feel for the ones that seem most developmentally appropriate. That would give you a good indication as to whether the notebook concept would fly or not without committing.

Tags
english, interactive, notebook