A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 07-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Enthusiast

Texas
kindergarten
What to do for Meet the Teacher night.

I am teaching kinder for the first time and wanted to help parents adjust to this new experience and get familiar with the room/school. I was thinking of doing a scavenger hunt of sorts.

Has anyone done this with young grades? If not, what do you do.

I hate just having them come in and say hello. I'd like to get them involved in doing something so I feel better about rushing them out on the first day of school.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Groupie

Florida
Kindergarten Teacher
Our school is grades Prek-5, and all grades have Meet the Teacher at the same time. I've never been able to do any real activities.

I always have the kids sign my welcome sign. Then I go with the child and the family and we find their seat, backpack hook, and anything else the kids would take ownership of for the year. Last year I had some old readers I gave to the families. The parents were very grateful to have appropriate books.

I have a few tables set up for different things. One table is filled with lots of information sheets for the parents (volunteer forms, my contact info, and a class handbook.) Another table is set up with clipboards. Each clipboard is for something different. The most important once asks, "How will your child get home during the first week"....which is always much different from what the kids will do for the remainder of the year. The other tables are used for students to work at. They love drawing pictures for me because I have a special place to display them. This year I MAY let the kids use playdough to make letters or words as a choice for one of the tables.

I do close off some of my centers....especially the blocks and kitchen!!! I made a huge mistake my first year by letting them play. Oh boy...did the little siblings make a mess..and it was loud.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Are kids coming or just parents?
Enthusiast

Texas
kindergarten
I definitely intend to close any of my center down for Meet the Teacher.

I was thinking of a scanvenger hunt around the room (for parents and kids - not me).

I will still have clipboards with the essential forms to be completed and folders to be taken home with the other stuff.

I was thinking that I could have a real simple "scavenger hunt" - kind of a get to know the room such as "Find where we read, find our calendar." But I'm not convinced this is a good idea. On one hand, I like the parents getting an upclose view of the room and at the same time they can help familiarize kids with the room. But on the other hand, I don't want the room tore up either.

UUUUGGGHHHH! I don't know what to do! Maybe I'll just do what I've always done.
Enthusiast

Texas
kindergarten
meet the teacher is usually parents and kids
Old 07-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Groupie

Florida
Kindergarten Teacher
I thought about having a slideshow up as the child and parents are browsing the room. The slideshow would have lots of pictures of my past kids working and learning. No music, just pictures.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast

Texas
kindergarten
oh that is a great idea. It won't work for me this year as I was at a different school and grade. But that is a great idea for future reference. Thanks1
Old 07-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Enthusiast

California
Preschool/Adult School Teacher
In pre-k I have used a scavenger hunt. I did a piece of paper with squares and questions in each square, "find the bathroom" "Where do you leave your lunches?" etc. etc. with stickers at each station so they put a sticker or stamp in the box. It gets a little crowded but it keeps them active and parents get to know the room and some of the procedures. If you want the room perfect for the next day this is not the activity to do, but if you want happy, self-guided learning it works. Just make sure you have enough questions that they aren't all crowded in one place.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Groupie

Florida
Kindergarten Teacher
scmom, that scavenger hunt sounds like a great idea to have available for the families that do have more time than others. I just might try that this year.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast

Texas
kindergarten
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmom View Post
In pre-k I have used a scavenger hunt. I did a piece of paper with squares and questions in each square, "find the bathroom" "Where do you leave your lunches?" etc. etc. with stickers at each station so they put a sticker or stamp in the box. It gets a little crowded but it keeps them active and parents get to know the room and some of the procedures. If you want the room perfect for the next day this is not the activity to do, but if you want happy, self-guided learning it works. Just make sure you have enough questions that they aren't all crowded in one place.
This is exactly what I want to do. Even if its messier. I will have center stuff closed, but there are lots of other areas for them to explore. I really want my parents to know about parts of the room.

How many questions/boxes do you have on your page? How are they to know where they put their lunchboxes? Do you have signs up for parents? Can you tell me anymore about yoru scavenger hunt. It sounds really cool.
thanks

Tags
meet, night, teacher