A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 03-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Rookie

6th Grade Teacher
Exclamation Animal & Plant unit 2nd grade

I am a student teacher...I am in the second grade now and I have to teach a unit on animals and plants.. I have to teach the unit for 10 days; I guess I can teach animals for 1 week and plants for 1 week...I was just in the 6th grade, so it is kinda hard to go from tests, tests, tests, to arts and crafts in the second grade, etc. aahhhh!!! I was hoping that anyone will have some cute lessons, crafts, books, or any other ideas relating to plants and animals... THANKS!!!!

Old 03-05-2005, 08:12 PM

Way down south in Dixie!
Was PreK SPE, now HS SPE.
http://bcmnc.blount.k12.al.us/gardening_links.htm you can find plant ideas on there.

http://bcmnc.blount.k12.al.us/zoo_animal_links.htm zoo animal stuff on here.

http://bcmnc.blount.k12.al.us/links.htm other theme topics can be found on there!

Lori
Old 03-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Novice

Indiana
For teaching the kids about animals, I have seen 2nd grade students create the biomes of a certain animal in a shoebox. They can use playdough, construction paper, etc. They love it! When they talked about plants, they were able to actually plant flowers/plants outside and in the classroom. You can teach them how to take care of them and measure to see how much they grow. I also get alot of lesson plan ideas from www.lessonplanspage.com. Check it out if you want. Good luck!
Old 03-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Devotee

New York
Graduate Student
I loved using Ruth Heller's books for teaching animals and plants...my favorites are Animals Born Alive and Well (mammals) and Chickens Aren't the Only Ones (oviparous creatures). I can't recall which plants ones I used. My kids (they were third grade) LOVED these rhyming texts even though the vocabulary was a bit above them--they were so curious about all the animals listed on each page that they just absorbed so much of the books. Their science text that year was WAY above them so I gave them a test I created rather than a text-based one, and they were able to consistently answer questions related to content from these books (i.e. Name one of the two mammals who DOES lay eggs!). Ruth Heller also has some amazing language arts books as well. Love her!
Old 03-06-2005, 05:27 PM

Illinois
Preschool Teacher
For plants... make "Soil Sam" (Think home-made Chia pet)

Put one scoop of rye grass seed (or any grass seed, rye grows fast!) in the bottom of a stocking (I get shoe stores to give me a box of the footies they use, it works PERFECT!)... add one scoop of soil... knot the stocking, and place upside-down in water in a baby food jar... add a face if so desired. The grass will grow out the top as if it's hair... my 2nd graders LOVED this!!!!!! It's fun to measure how much they've grown, etc.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:13 PM
Devotee

New York
Graduate Student
You can actually scoop out part of a potato and gross grass in there; might be a nice seasonal tie-in to St. Patrick's Day if you're studying it at all (i.e. through Language Arts).
Old 03-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Rookie

6th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarnet73
For plants... make "Soil Sam" (Think home-made Chia pet)

Put one scoop of rye grass seed (or any grass seed, rye grows fast!) in the bottom of a stocking (I get shoe stores to give me a box of the footies they use, it works PERFECT!)... add one scoop of soil... knot the stocking, and place upside-down in water in a baby food jar... add a face if so desired. The grass will grow out the top as if it's hair... my 2nd graders LOVED this!!!!!! It's fun to measure how much they've grown, etc.
I really like that idea! In fact, I asked my CT and she said that the kids would love it! Thanks!
Old 03-07-2005, 09:21 PM
Novice

Indiana
There are books about animals by Steve Jenkins - one is called "Actual Size" that I know of. It shows various animals and gives information about them, and how big they are. The kids would get a kick out of it.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Companion

Kentucky
One of my favorite books right now for my son is "Water Hole Waiting." It features several different endangered animals all trying to get water at the water hole. Might be a nice way to discuss how all living things (plants and animals) need water.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Rookie

6th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissypants
One of my favorite books right now for my son is "Water Hole Waiting." It features several different endangered animals all trying to get water at the water hole. Might be a nice way to discuss how all living things (plants and animals) need water.
Thanks! I love to work with units to find great literature!!! I can't wait to have my own classroom to start collecting!

Tags
2nd, animal, grade, plant, unit