A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 07-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Connoisseur

Houston, Texas
Self-Contained K-4 EBD
Interview & Demo Lesson for Third Grade

Hey y'all! I received a call yesterday requesting an interview for a third grade position at a charter school. The interview is next Wednesday at 11 o'clock.

I was told to be prepared to present a 10-15 min. demo lesson on any subject area and for any grade level. A demo lesson during an interview is something I've never done before. I know I'm more than capable because of the numerous lessons I was evaluated on throughout student teaching, which all went off really well with the students, my mentor teacher, and my supervisor. I feel as if I can win them over more so with being able to present a demo lesson and not just interview. I'm confident, but this is still new for me.

I'm almost certain that I'm only interviewing and presenting my demo lesson to the principal because when I asked what times were available to interview, the secretary told me anytime M-F. Well, if there were more staff members on the interviewing team, they would really have to have set interview times. So, this makes me start to wonder if I should present my demo lesson in the sense that I go over all the steps, some of the motions, yada yada or should I completely go into teacher mode and pretend the principal is a student?

Since the position I'm interviewing for is third grade, I will present a demo lesson for third grade. Reading is assessed statewide starting in third grade in Texas, it's ever so important so I'm considering a literacy lesson. I'm thinking about a quick lesson/activity on one of the big five components of reading such as vocab. I also know that this particular charter school emphasizes math, science, and technology (what school doesn't?) so I think I may try to come up with an idea geared towards one of those subject areas.

I gave myself a deadline to come up with three well thought out demo lesson ideas by noon tomorrow. I want to have my demo lesson ready by the end of the weekend. Even though I would have Monday and Tuesday to prep, I watch my nephews throughout the day and they would be totally distracting. I also will need those two days to ponder on interview questions.

Does anyone have any suggestions for awesome demo lessons for third grade that you've heard went well or perhaps one you did that went well? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should approach presenting the demo lessons - go over it in detail or act it out?

Old 07-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Phenom

Disney country
Back in the saddle again!
I think you should pretend the P is a third grade student.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:28 AM
Multitudinous

Texas
Good luck!
Old 07-11-2009, 06:58 AM
Fanatic

Texas, USA
Teacher/Instructional Coach
Best of luck and I am SO glad that I did not have to do a demo lesson for my interview. I had never heard of such a thing until i started reading about it on this website. We did not do that in SC that I know of. I sat on many interview teams in 3 districts and did not ever ask a candidate to do a demo lesson. To me it would be almost an unfair assessment. But that is just me. If the team were looking to see if you can handle a class, it might give SOME insight. But looking at the big picture - I don't really get it.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Virtuoso

Good luck!
Old 07-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Connoisseur

Houston, Texas
Self-Contained K-4 EBD
I think I've decided to do my demo lesson on introductory information on synonyms and use the fly swatter activity as mini guided/independent practice. When I was asked to do a demo lesson, I immediately thought of this activity. I'm going to go with my gut.

SCTeachInTX, I don't think it's common practice, especially in Texas. It's usually private and charter schools that have such requests. I think it'll be "weird" because there will be no students and it's more than likely going to be just me and the principal. I'm guessing that's why they're only asking for it to be 10-15 min. I actually think it will benefit me more than if I didn't do it since I can show my creativity and whatnot.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Fanatic

Texas, USA
Teacher/Instructional Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmakate218 View Post
I think I've decided to do my demo lesson on introductory information on synonyms and use the fly swatter activity as mini guided/independent practice. When I was asked to do a demo lesson, I immediately thought of this activity. I'm going to go with my gut.

SCTeachInTX, I don't think it's common practice, especially in Texas. It's usually private and charter schools that have such requests. I think it'll be "weird" because there will be no students and it's more than likely going to be just me and the principal. I'm guessing that's why they're only asking for it to be 10-15 min. I actually think it will benefit me more than if I didn't do it since I can show my creativity and whatnot.
Well, I think you are wonderful to think of it as a positive. That is the only way you can approach this looking for a job situation. All the best!
Old 07-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Comrade

Midwest
Good Luck!!

Tags
demo, grade, interview, lesson