A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 07-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Novice

West Coast
Science
Do all teachers get paid once a month?

Hi!

I heard all teachers get paid once a month. Is this true? Private and Public? Just wondering b/c I'm trying to figure out my monthly budget and according to paycheckcity.com, I'd make $200 more/mo if I were paid monthly instead of bi-weekly.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
It depends on the school.

The first school where I taught, it was monthly. My current school is twice a month, my husband's school is every 2 weeks.

But it shouldn't make a difference in your total pay. You would make $200 more on each calendar month, but most months you would have 30 or 31 days between paychecks... that can be tought to budget!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Connoisseur

GED & Science Teacher
How does frequency of paycheck disbursement affect the total?

My district pays monthly, which is miserable because I need to figure out how the %^#^% I am going to do things like buy groceries, gas and feed my bird until sometime in October, when my bank account already only has $47 in it (barely enough to feed my bird, and she has to take priority).
Old 07-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Enthusiast

USA
Elementary
We get paid every two weeks.
Molly...don't you get deferred pay for summer?
Old 07-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Fanatic

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
Ditto-

We get paid every other Friday-

Zoe- I haven't noticed a different in the "missing a day" this summer yet because my last two checks had some "xtras" on them from some after school stuff I had. I know it's coming and I can't believe I got paid just last week.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Connoisseur

GED & Science Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
I am just graduating and starting my first teaching job. New teachers are nearly 7 weeks behind in pay, so although I start working in August, I will not be paid until October. And I apparently am in just about the only district that does not do an advance or split check for new teachers. This means that I have to figure out how to move, pay for test score reports and transcripts, a TB test and other things when I have no income, savings sucked up by not working after a surgery in January and no money in the bank. My parents are helping as they can, but they are not in a good place themselves and it will be all they can do to help me with moving expenses. I don't even want to think about this. I am so stressed out about finances that I can't sleep and am having trouble breathing sometimes.

Basically, I'm thrilled I got a job, but I am staying awake at night wondering how I am going to afford to actually work this job. I'm going to have to stay with my parents until October because I can't afford deposits on an apartment, but that will mean 5-6 hours a day driving (while taking grad classes full time) and I'm not sure how I will pay for the gas either.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Fanatic

North Carolina
2nd grade teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollydoll View Post
I am just graduating and starting my first teaching job. New teachers are nearly 7 weeks behind in pay, so although I start working in August, I will not be paid until October. And I apparently am in just about the only district that does not do an advance or split check for new teachers. This means that I have to figure out how to move, pay for test score reports and transcripts, a TB test and other things when I have no income, savings sucked up by not working after a surgery in January and no money in the bank. My parents are helping as they can, but they are not in a good place themselves and it will be all they can do to help me with moving expenses. I don't even want to think about this. I am so stressed out about finances that I can't sleep and am having trouble breathing sometimes.

Basically, I'm thrilled I got a job, but I am staying awake at night wondering how I am going to afford to actually work this job. I'm going to have to stay with my parents until October because I can't afford deposits on an apartment, but that will mean 5-6 hours a day driving (while taking grad classes full time) and I'm not sure how I will pay for the gas either.
Molly, oh you poor thing!

All public teachers in NC are paid monthly.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Enthusiast

SoCal
High School English Teacher
We get paid once a month, and get a total of ten checks. They used to do a 12-month program, but for some reason it was deemed to be illegal. We go back the last week of August and get our first check September 30.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Aficionado

Texas
HS English and Driver's Ed
We get paid on the 5th and the 20th. I didn't realize that *anyone* only got paid once until this week when I was at a workshop and the teachers started talking about it. I couldn't do that.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Aficionado

Indiana
High School Social Studies
We are paid every other Friday year round.

Tags
month, paid, teachers