A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 06-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Connoisseur

Special Education Teacher
Bulletin Board Theme - Jungle

Hello,

I bought some paper bulletin board pieces (jungle animals, rainforest pictures, greenery, etc.) as well as a vine border and little leaves to write the kids names on.

My original thought was to have "Welcome to the Jungle."

My mom tells me this is offensive and parents might be upset with it.

Does anyone have any "non-offensive" theme type bulletin board phrases that could be used with a jungle theme?

I guess it's partly offensive because I teach kids with autism and it sounds like "welcome to the craziness" or something. However, that was not my intention, I just thought it was cute.

If anyone has any ideas.... I'd be up for them, as I think the pieces and idea are cute, just need a catch phrase!

I thought maybe it could say:

"We're Wild About Learning" (or wild about school)

or

"The Tree-mendous Students of ____"

Any other ideas that make more sense??

Or do you think "Welcome to the Jungle" is okay??

Just wanted others' thoughts.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Companion

Minnesota
Kindergarten Teacher
I guess I might stay away from "welcome to the jungle", but the "wild about learning" sounds good. If you are using monkey you could say something about "swinging".
Old 06-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Companion

Texas
4th Grade Teacher
LOL - I immediately heard the song from Guns n' Roses in my head when I read your title! If you go with monkeys in your theme, you could say something about having a "great bunch" and use bananas.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Comrade

SoCal
I heard the GNR song too! I like "We're Wild About School" or a specific grade even. Good luck!
Old 06-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Habitué

4th Grade Teacher
Swinging into a brand new year

Let's get wild about a new year
Old 06-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Connoisseur

Texas
5th Grade
I love your 'The Tree-mendous Students of ____". I don't particularly care for the Wild about ---- but it's because it's so over done. I've seen this at my school & then some. I did something like 'Welcome to the jungle of knowledge'.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:27 PM
Connoisseur

I like the "Swinging into ___" idea, but unfortunately I spent some of my summer money at Lakeshore today, and bought of all of the stuff thinking I was doing "Welcome to the Jungle." It is rainforest animals (monkeys included but not just monkeys).

Also, I teach in a self-contained classroom and it's 2nd through 4th... so I can't really do the grade level thing.

My school never does bulletin boards (it's an autism school and most of them have never taught in public school, so they don't even really know the public school scene....) --- I, on the other hand, came from public school and love making my classroom look and feel like a public school classroom. So, the "Wild about Learning" idea is not overdone! Haha. Anything I do, they will be impressed with and so excited for. I just don't want it to be offensive!

I guess it's down to:

We're Wild About Learning!
or
The Tree-Mendous Students of ___ School

(It's a bulletin board that will include the three classes in my hallway, K/1, 1/2, and 2-4.)

Anyyyway. I will post pics tomorrow with what I decide to put up there.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Cohort

Ohio
Art Teacher
I like the tree-mendous one. I find it odd they don't do bulletin boards. I guess being an art teacher..I'm always aware of a schools aesthetic appeal to the student and parents. It's a great way to bring color to the hallways/classroom, not to mention make a kid feel proud seeing something of their's hanging up or their own photo.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Connoisseur

Oh it's crazy! If they DO do bulletin boards, they're real... crappy. Boring... dry... and they stay up the full year.

Guess it's just not a priority. I think color is so important. You'd laugh if you saw the other classrooms in my school compared to mine. Mine has the pledge of allegiance poster up, "Reach for the stars" with the kids names, various centers, etc. Being that my school is an autism school, the other classrooms look like...... therapy center rooms. White walls, nothing on them, no color, no "language rich environment" etc.

It's crazy! But maybe they will love the bulletin board and see it as a good example
Old 06-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Connoisseur

OK - here's how it turned out! The kids' names are on the leaves (three different classes of six kids), but I blurred them out because the school is overboard about confidentiality!

I think it turned out cute! Even though I still like Welcome to the Jungle. Haha!

Tags
board, bulletin, jungle, theme