A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > First Grade

Old 06-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Rookie

What a first grade teacher needs in their room

This will be my first year teaching first grade, and my first year as a teacher! I obviously do not have a lot of supplies, furniture and things for my classroom. I have started a list of things I should get but I know I am overlooking so many things. Does anyone have suggestions on the "must haves" I should get for my classroom.
Thanks

Old 06-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Enthusiast

Texas
kindergarten
class carpet or mat area - for me this is the biggie!
pointers - silly ones
markers
books, books, books - go to half price books or yard sale - they will be loved! I move to first from 2nd and had to add lots of books to my library level C and up.

I'm sure others will mention other things I cannot live without, but that is all I can think of now.

Pretty much 1st grade is more interactive than 2nd and 3rd tend to be. It's very much an early childhood tilt that 2nd/3rd has left behind.

You have to teach them everything and remind them constantly.
One of the things that frustrated me the most when I moved to 1st was in 2nd I was used to telling them a few times with a few reminders and they got it (except for the sweettarts). But with 1st you have to accept that you will give constant reminders. You don't get past giving reminders - NOT in the same way as 2nd or 3rd.

It was a very hard transition, but I ABSOLUTELY wound up loving 1st grade. they are even sweeter than 2nd graders. They love the teacher and for the most part want to make you happy.

It's a great year! Have fun!
Old 06-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Enthusiast

California
Working Class Teacher
Several small, batter powered pencil sharpeners.

Clip boards.

A box or place for them to put papers they want to give you. One for assigned work, another for random stuff. They will always be drawing pictures they want you to have.

A lost and found.

Keep in mind that first graders lives center around finding, losing, breaking, and eating things.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Comrade

Colorado
1st Grade Teacher
baskets for your classroom library! Don't try to just put the books on a shelf like a real library!

a white board easel for carpet time (these were provided at my school, so make sure you see what they give you before you buy! - also, check on startup money, they may reimburse you if you save receipts)

slippers under your desk for those days that you can't spend another second in those shoes you shouldn't have worn
Old 06-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Enthusiast

California
Working Class Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissR View Post
slippers under your desk for those days that you can't spend another second in those shoes you shouldn't have worn
Also a pair of athletic footwear for the days you need to take the class out for PE, which is every day where I work.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Guru

Southern NJ
2nd Grade Teacher
What a great list! I too am moving to 1st, so this is awesome
Old 06-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Rookie

Georgia
I am starting my fifth year of teaching 1st grade and my 5th year as a teacher- I started out in first grade. While it is a fun grade (with LOTS to teach), it is by far the most rewarding. It really takes getting in there and working with them to see what you need and what works for you. Here are some things I recommend:

If you have tables- you will need baskets to store supplies. I have a basket on the end of each of my 3 tables. The basket holds a tall white plastic cup for each student. This cup holds their pencils, crayons, scissors and glue. What I love about this is they can take the cup anywhere in the room when we're working in small groups or centers and have everything they need. Very easy to pass out and clean up too.

Cubbies- These hold extra supplies the students bring in and papers/homework folders.

Baskets for Finished/Unfinished Work: I have two baskets on a shelf (one labeled "FINISHED" one labeled "UNFINISHED"). Make sure they are diff. colors. Students know they must not have anything in the unfinished basket or they will miss some center or recess time. It has worked well for me over the past few years.

I also keep a tooth chart- this is an age where they lose lots of them! You will need a birthday chart (I use Carson Dellosa's birthday cakes for each month). Any posters on vowels, time, money, def. a calendar, 100s,10s, and 1s.

Of course you will need the basic supplies: glue, scissors, const. paper, etc. Talk with teachers on your team and look around their rooms. That helped me the most my first year. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Connoisseur

texas
Primary Elementary Teacher
I like what the others have said. I would also add a cd player with transition songs and songs that help learn concepts. Like "Dr. Jean" and things like that. I'm also not sure if anyone mentioned a pocket chart!
Old 06-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Rookie

This is all great advice...and much appreciated!
Old 06-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Rookie

DFW - Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
This will also be my first teaching position teaching 1st grade! I've been scouring the web looking for a list of these things, so THANK YOU! Any other suggestions?

Tags
grade, room, teacher