A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 05-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Companion

Canada
Report Card Comments - year end

How long are your end of the year report card comments? I find that mine are generally the same length as the comments that I write for the first two report cards. However, I often hear many of my colleagues say that their comments at the end of the year are much shorter and more general. I'd love to save time by writing a shorter comment, but I'm not sure how. Does anyone care to share an example of an end of year comment?

Old 05-20-2009, 05:57 AM
Connoisseur

Ohio
I've seen some teachers write, "Have a great summer." I think that's pretty unprofessional. Before we went to a report-card system where we have to input on the computer and our length is limited, I used to type out comments on a separate piece of paper and attach it to the final report card.

Here are examples from a few of my students:

"D___ has truly been a pleasure to teach this year. She strives to follow directions and meet expectations at all times. Within the classroom, she has a quiet manner about her and manages to pay attention to instruction, even if someone is deliberately trying to distract her. D___ has performed solidly this year in academics. She has shown the greatest growth in her writing skills. It sometimes takes her a while to complete a writing assignment, but she produces good results. D___ has no shortage of friends, treats them fairly, cooperates well, and has become an excellent conflict mediator. She is ready for first grade!"

"E___ has grown so much this year! At the beginning of the year, his limited English prevented him from participating in classroom discussions and understanding all academic concepts. Now he raises his hand frequently, contributes to our class discussions, and interacts with his peers easily in classroom and social situations. He has a great sense of humor and loves to laugh. E___ has learned to write and recognize all letters and several words. He is beginning to apply this knowleged to his reading and writing. His reading level continued to improve each quarter. E___ does very well in math, and has demonstrated a mastery of every math skill that has been taught this uear. He will need to continue to wrok hard in first grade, but he has shown that he has the skills to become an excellent student!"

"J___ has grown in so many ways this year. An extremely energetic, curious child, the confines of school don't always mix well with his personality, but he has worked hard this year to meet behavior expectations. He shows his emotions with his entire body, and it is easy to tell when he is happy, sad, excited, tired, or disappointed. J___ is sincere and caring. He wants to do the right thing and has the best of intentions. He is his own harshest critic when things don't go right. J___ has strong academic skills. When he focuses long enough, they really show. With continued practice over the summer, it is quite possible for him to raise his reading level to a 6."
Old 05-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Comrade

IL
4th Grade Teacher
I keep my report comments brief and directly to the point. One of my favorites for the end of this year:
I hope you truly reconsider further reproduction. .
Sorry....its been a long, rough year!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Comrade

New Mexico
3rd Grade Teacher
I, too, am irked by teachers who just write "Have a great summer". It's easy to let ourselves off the hook because we're not accountable to the parents by having having parent/teacher conferences. That's why it's all the more important to write quality comments:

"J continues to be respectful to the teacher and peers. His on task behavior is more consistent this trimester. His reading is at grade level and his writing conventions have improved. His A2L scores this trimester are impressive!"

Sum up the report card, just like you would do at a conference. Give parents the benefit of your professional expertise.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Devotee

2nd Grade Teacher
For the past 3 report cards and past 4 progress reports I have written extensive comments on all of my students reports. Have I received any type of feedback from a parent as to my comments? NONE WHAT SO EVER! Even when I stressed a problem in academics or behavior I heard nothing. My comments on the fourth report card will be short, sweet, and to the point. Enjoy your summer. Read, Read, Read. This has brought great disappointment to me.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Connoisseur

parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by janlee View Post
For the past 3 report cards and past 4 progress reports I have written extensive comments on all of my students reports. Have I received any type of feedback from a parent as to my comments? NONE WHAT SO EVER! Even when I stressed a problem in academics or behavior I heard nothing. My comments on the fourth report card will be short, sweet, and to the point. Enjoy your summer. Read, Read, Read. This has brought great disappointment to me.

As a parent, I never had any idea I was supposed to give feedback to the teacher on the report card comments. It's not really the best interactive media.

Maybe the comments should go out in email form.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Groupie

Georgia
3rd Grade Teacher
I have put as much as I can in the little box on the report cards for the first 3 nine-week periods. However for the last one I have put either "__________, Have a great summer, I will miss you!! Keep Reading!" for those students that I truly will miss, or "Enjoy your summer, keep Reading!!" for those that have been a bit more challenging and that it will be nice to have a break from. Another reason that the comment is shorter in this box is because my space is about 1/2 to 1/3 what it is in the other boxes. We were basically told to put a positive comment.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Companion

Canada
Sevenplus, your comments are a lot like mine. I think I'll just stick to what I've been doing all along, even if it does take me a bit more time.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Comrade

Pre-K
How do you say

"Your kid is a brat" in a positive way?

I am serious!
Old 05-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Groupie

Georgia
3rd Grade Teacher
Don't know deb but if you find out let me know. I will edit one child's report card just to be able to put that.

Tags
card, comments, end, report, year