A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 01-31-2005, 06:47 AM
Newcomer

Indiana
Valentine's Day party

Hi everyone. I am the mother ofa first grader and I am the room mother for his class. I would like anysuggestions for games and crafts for their Valentines Day party. I had a hard time filling the hour provided for the Winter Party. They went through my game ideas and craft so quickly. So, what were some of the best Valentine's Day party ideas you have had in your classroom. I want the kids to have a good time. Thanks for your help! Laura

Old 01-31-2005, 11:23 AM
Companion

Kentucky
Bingo using candy hearts as place markers? You can buy inexpensive Bingo games (called JINGO) or you could probably find Bingo cards online. I think any age level loves that, plus they can eat the hearts after the game is over.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:17 PM

Way down south in Dixie!
Was PreK SPE, now HS SPE.
http://bcmnc.blount.k12.al.us/valentine_links.htm there are several links on my site for a LOT of ideas!

Lori
Old 02-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Companion

Kentucky
When I was in 3rd grade we took conversation hearts and made Valentines for our parents. We'd write a sentence on paper and leave out certain words that the conversation hearts would fill in. Then glue that heart to the paper. They would say things like - Mom and Dad, I "love you" so much. I would like for you to "be mine" Valentine. - Of course we ate a lot of hearts along the way. This whole thing would probably work better if you had scripts for them to follow. Kind of like Mad Libs with conversation hearts.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Connoisseur

I forget where I saw this, and it might not be party-worthy.
Take a heart cut from construction paper.
Have the kids think of names they have been called, and crumple the heart as they call out the names.
After a few seconds, have them stop.
Uncrumple the heart as best you can, pointing out that the wrinkles never fully go away.
So it is with insults- we can forgive, but they are hard to forget.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast

NJ
I am making heart bingo. I am cutting out different colored hearts and gluing them on a blank bingo mat I created in Word. I plan on using the little heart candy for bingo chips. Afterwards we will get to eat them and have a few other small treats. I always ask my class mothers to keep it simple (juice, a cookie or two) and bring grapes so there is some type of fruit. If strawberries are on sale I will bring that in as well.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:21 PM
Novice

tx
You can take heart cutouts and cut them apart using fancy scissors. They then have to find their match without seeing them, only describing them. Attach the half to their back and they go around and ask them what theirs looks like and based on that info and helping others identify theirs, they find their match. This can take some time!
Old 02-01-2005, 06:06 PM

Illinois
Preschool Teacher
Decorating cupcakes or sugar cookies can be fun, although messy.

I love the idea about mad-libs with the hearts... TOO CUTE!

There are all sorts of things you can make with hearts and lines... our kids made Valentine's Mice this week (large heart upside-down forms the body, smaller heart right-side-up slightly overlapping forms the head, then eyes, nose, whiskers, and a tail!)...

I remember in K or 1st, doing heart-people... large heart for the body, then small hearts for hands and feet, with accordion-folded paper arms and legs... of course, heart-shaped eyes, nose, etc...
Old 02-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Rookie

kentucky
party ideas

I love all the ideas so far, why not turn these into centers? If time permits, have 4 centers set up with a parent volunteer working each one. Do art, snack, game, song or writing activity centers. Children will rotate through the centers. sort of a divide and conquer.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:02 PM
Devotee

2nd Grade Teacher
I play "mend a heart". Using red construction paper cut out a large heart. Write a compound word on it and then cut the heart apart using pinking shears or shaped scissors. Be sure that you use several compound words that have the same words (ex: fireman, firehouse, grandmother, grandfather)
Students have to go around the room and find the other half of their heart to complete the compound word, thus mending the broken heart. It gets tricky for the kids because they have to be sure that the heart matches even though they may be making a word. I usually punch a hole in the top of each half and thread yarn through it. They hang the heart around their neck. Matches then sit together. Can be played several times. Another activity is to cut out door hangers from craft foam (or you can buy them precut) Buy a tub of valentine foam shapes (some already have the glue on them) and they can create their own personal door hanger. Alphabet letters are also available to create their names.

Tags
day, party, valentine