A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > First Grade

Old 05-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Newcomer

Tennessee
1st Grade Teacher
Monkey Classroom Theme

I am going to do a monkey theme in my classroom next year. Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone have cute monkey clipart or sheets that they would like to share?

Old 05-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Connoisseur

Pre-K
Vines; (ROPES) hanging from the ceiling with stuffed monkeys hanging all over them! Children should bring their fav stuffed monkeys to hang right above their desks.
Rebel1
Old 05-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Connoisseur

texas
Primary Elementary Teacher
Target usually has a lot of monkey stuff...
I'm not sure what you mean by "sheets".
Old 05-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Connoisseur

Pre-K
Could it be sheets of paper with INFO or activities about MONKEYS?
Rebel1
Old 05-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Novice

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
I teach Kindergarten, but my theme is Monkeys! I love them but I have said several times this year that I think I have jinxed myself with the theme because my kids act like monkeys some of the time.
Anyway......Target's dollar, two fifty, and five dollar racks have some great monkey stuff....They have monkey pillows for the reading center, a monkey rug, a monkey night light, and a monkey sign that says kids at play. I have found most of my room decor made by Carson Dellosa at my local teacher store.
Microsoft Clipart also has some cute monkey clipart that I used for my numbers posters that I have in my room.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Comrade

Ohio
1st Grade Teacher
I had a monkey theme this year.
Here are some of our signs:
We go bananas over reading!
Look who is hanging out on the green team!
No monkey business!

I bought signs and monkey things from a teacher store.
I have little monkey papers that I laminated, punched holes in and strung them on their cubbies. Their lunch count was also on a picture of a monkey with a magnet on the back.

I also bought a lot of Curious George books and stuffed animals from Kohls when it was a part of their $5 books and stuffed animals. These are displayed on our reading cave.

I also have a vine across one of the walls. I made it by twisting bulletin board paper. I use clothes pins to clip student work to the vine. "Hanging up good work"

Just some of the things that I have done.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Novice

Salt Lake City, Utah
1st Grade Teacher
I have monkeys too!

The year I started teaching was the year Madagascar came out. I love anything jungle, but most specifically monkeys. They have some really cute monkey bulletin board sets out now, they're really cute funny looking monkeys, with bright yellow bananas. I have a lunch chart made with those, and I have vines I bought from the $ store, they're like plastic plants. They are hanging from the ceiling, along with $ store monkeys, that their hands velcro together. I have a wall that I hang my good work on that says, "We're not monkeying around about learning." I drew a giant monkey face, that I copied from some clip art, and blew up on my overhead. I also have a monkey alphabet, and I also have some jungle animal chairs that I found at Odd Lots, one is a monkey, one is an elephant and one is a lion. They are little camping chairs, they were like $8 I think. I also have 2 jungle print chair pillows that I found at Odd Lots that were like $2. Those chairs are all in my reading area. I also bought Madagascar material and made curtains for my room, and I also bought a cheetah print rug for my carpet area. That was the most expensive thing, I think it was $60.

I also bought a bunch of dowel rods, cut them in half and found lots of wooden animals to glue on top for pointers. We use pointers for lots of stuff, centers, math, carpet time etc. They are monkeys, elephants, lions etc. They were about .50 at Michaels, they were already painted and stuff.

At the first of each year I put each child's name on a monkey die cut that I buy at the teacher supply store. Then I use brown butcher paper ripped and crinkled and make a vine on my outside bulletin board. Then I use green butcher paper and cut it into strips and curl it up with a pencil and hang each child's Monkey name from a curly vine on the original brown vine and the title is "We're swinging into first grade!"

I also have lots of monkey magnets and random monkey stuff that the kids have bought me through the last few years. I hope you have a great year!
Old 06-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Cohort

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
This might be cool for your reading area-
http://www.target.com/Pacific-Playte...ank&rh=&page=4

or this-http://www.target.com/Jungle-Safari-...ank&rh=&page=5

You might be able to find cheaper ones on ebay. Just an idea.
Happy hunting
Old 06-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Cohort

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
Oops, sorry, I was thinking jungle theme, not monkey.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Rookie

Massachusetts
4th Grade Teacher
I do monkey theme too. I have a bulletin board that says Bananas about Books, yellow background with a border of monkeys reading books. My job chart says Swing to It and the jobs are written on bananas and each student has his/her name written on a monkey diecut and I just clip them on with a paper clip. My students know I love monkeys and I received a lot of monkey style gifts throughout the year!

Tags
classroom, monkey, theme