A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 05-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Novice

Getting an interview...

One district that I would LOVE to work in does not take hand delivered, mailed or e-mailed resumes. (I've called and asked and they said they will just return them to you or throw them away.) The ONLY way to apply is online, but how on earth do you get noticed from an online application? There isn't a big way that I can think of to stand out. Any one have any ideas on how to stand out? Would it be uncouth to call the principal's office of the particular school to schedule a tour/talk?

Old 05-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Habitué

California
High school biology
You "stand out" based on your qualifications, experiences, and your ability to sell yourself in your cover letter. Most districts around here are like the one you describe. Most businesses are like this as well. Get used to it.

I say this as someone who accepted a job last week, and who just got a call this morning asking me to interview at another school on the basis of my online application. You stand out by being good at what you do.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Rookie

Midwest, USA
Hey Mommatothebear! I am having similar issues with the schools around here. It is really hard to seem original in that application process. What I've been doing is sending my application and the about 3-4 days after I submit it I call either the HR department or the Principal's office (depending on how their specific system works) to make sure everything got there in one piece. I explain that I am wary about submitting things online and just wanted affirmation that my materials were received. That can give you a personal connection with the school that you don't get from the online application.

It is becoming more common, but that doesn't mean we have to take ALL of the human interaction out of it. Hang in there, we'll get our dream jobs soon enough
Old 05-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Aficionado

Indiana
High School Social Studies
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateL View Post
You "stand out" based on your qualifications, experiences, and your ability to sell yourself in your cover letter. Most districts around here are like the one you describe. Most businesses are like this as well. Get used to it.

I say this as someone who accepted a job last week, and who just got a call this morning asking me to interview at another school on the basis of my online application. You stand out by being good at what you do.
This works if you have teaching experience - I *think* the OP is a new teacher trying to get a job for the first time. So I don't think the option of "being good at what you do" will work for a new teacher.

If you have the option of writing a cover letter on the on-line app., you do need to make your cover letter stand out. Why not post your cover letter and/or resume here and let us help you with both of them.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Habitué

California
High school biology
It doesn't even have to be teaching experience. Include any relevant volunteer experience, service with professional organizations, tutoring, subbing, student teaching... it's all about how you spin it to make yourself look like the best candidate.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Groupie

USA
PK-5
I understand your concern. Its hard to trust that the online application process will select you even when your qualifications and track record is top notch. I don't have any other advice than what's already been given, but wanted to say good luck!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Novice

I appreciate all your advice. I am a new teacher and when I was student teaching I could honestly say I was GOOD at what I did. I've been a stay at home mom for a few years now, but still know I am a good teacher.
The online app that I had to fill out was very basic and didn't leave a lot of room to make yourself stand out, more than listing what volunteer work, etc. (Which I do have-- Special Olympics, Junior Achievement, Science Enrichment teaching, Co-Chair of a Reading is Fun program, volunteer coordination for a book fair, etc.)
It also is a county wide application (though only a handful of the schools use the application), so making your application school specific is not really an option unless you are willing to disregard any of the other schools that use the system. I.E. if I wanted to apply for district A and B, they will see the same application, cover letter, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INteacher View Post
If you have the option of writing a cover letter on the on-line app., you do need to make your cover letter stand out. Why not post your cover letter and/or resume here and let us help you with both of them.
How do you attach them here? Do I need to upload them to file share site and link it, or is there an internal file sharing system? I have them ready and in PDF to upload.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Comrade

USA
I just copied and pasted mine from word (leaving out all the personal info).

Have you thought of doing school drop ins, writing additional letters or emails to principals or directors? Several people here have had success with that (and it can't hurt, right?)

I'm in the same boat! Good luck!
Old 05-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Novice

I have done drop in resumes for some positions that take mail in resumes, I just didn't know if that was acceptable or wrong with the "online only" application schools. i was told when i tried to drop off my resume at the superintendent's office for this district that they cannot take hard copies of resumes.
Do people write letters of interest or what kind of letter to the principal?

I could see myself taking a "why you should hire me" letter to hand deliver and waiting to see if I could get a meet and great with the principal in the office of the school. I have no problem doing that as long as it won't immediately take me off of the running because they say online ONLY, ya know? I guess that's what I'm asking what can I do other than just waiting and seeing? I'm pretty proactive on trying to find a job this year. There just are many out there right now at least in the 30 mile perimeter around my house!
Old 05-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Novice

Ok, so my resume- Excuse any odd looking formatting it looks nice in word or PDF form.

First Last
Address e-mail Phone number

Objective
Find a middle school teaching position in a school that celebrates diverse learning styles.

Certifications
• Illinois Type 03
o Middle School and Language Arts Endorsements
o Social Science and General Science endorsements to be completed by August 2009.
Education
Bachelors of Science in Elementary Education
Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, IL
Dean’s List
Phi Kappa Phi- Collegiate Honor Society
Kappa Delta Pi- Educational Honor Society
GPA of 3.862 2006
Associates of Arts in General Studies
Southwestern Illinois College, Belleville, IL
President’s List
Phi Theta Kappa- International Honor Society of the Two Year College
GPA of 3.815 2003
General Studies
Illinois College, Jacksonville, IL
Dean’s List
GPA of 3.6 1999
Teaching Experience
Southern Illinois University- Student Teaching
• Emge Junior High School, Belleville, IL- Co-operating teacher: Mrs. Debi Martin
o 6th Grade Reading
o 7th Grade Mathematics 2006
Southern Illinois University- Teacher Candidate Training
• Over 120 hours of field experience
o Woodland Elementary, Edwardsville, IL- Mrs Wells 3rd Grade
o E. Morris Elementary, Cahokia, IL- Mrs. King, 2nd Grade
o Emge Junior High, Belleville, IL- Mrs. Steward. 8th Grade 2004-2006

Related Work Experience
Peer Tutor, Southwestern Illinois College, Belleville, IL
• Tutored college students in math, psychology, chemistry, philosophy, and general studying skills.
• Trained to teach to varying learning styles.
• Quickly adjusted between multiple subject areas while tutoring.
• Carefully guided students to find information while allowing them the freedom to discern solutions on their own.
Volunteer Experience
• Junior Achievement Teacher
• Special Olympics
• Science Enrichment Teacher at Jefferson Elementary, Collinsville, IL
• Reading is Fun at Officer Elementary
• Co-Chair of Reading is Fun at Kreitner Elementary
• Action Jacksonville
• Salvation Army Bell Ringer
Other Related Experiences
• Editor of Endeavors, O’Fallon Township High School’s Literary magazine, 1998 and 1999
• Odyssey of the Mind Team, Marie Schaefer Junior High
1993 and 1994
• Work on High School homepage in 1998 for OTHS.
• Experience working in an office environment doing paperwork, creating PowerPoint presentations, Word documents, company newsletters, and maintaining Access databases.
References
Reference 1

Reference 2

Reference 3

Tags
interview