A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > New Teachers

Old 05-07-2009, 05:49 AM
Aficionado

Upper Elementary Teacher
If I had only known... [New Teacher Tips]

Hello New Teachers! Congrats on making it (almost) through your first year--- I'm incredibly happy about that, but I find that what I'm going to have to do over the summer to prep for the new year rather daunting at times.

To help the new teachers coming in next year to this wonderful forum and to remind ourselves after summer is done, maybe we could start a list of tips! What did you find out about teaching this year that you wish you had known in September? What do you hope to remember to change or do for this up coming school year?

My school only has 18 more school days, but I'm going to use some of the time thinking about what I need to change and improve on.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:01 AM
Novice

HS Social Studies
Confidence. Even if you don't think you know, look like you do. I learned it the hard way, and it's amazing how discipline improves when kids perceive you as credible and knowledgeable in your subject matter.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Multitudinous

Don't let students get to you. What they do is entirely their choice. Don't take it personally when they act like jerks or don't do their homework or are late to class.

If they do get to you, never let them know. Students are so often just looking for reactions from their teachers, and you don't need to be the teacher who gives that to them.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Multitudinous

Stay on top of your paperwork, especially grading. Don't wait until the last minute before entering grades or progress report comments. Don't wait until the last minute to put in requests for copies. Don't wait until the last minute to prepare your exams.

There's always the possibility that something will go wrong, including a technology malfunction or a sudden illness. If you are prepared ahead of time, those sorts of problems won't have any real impact.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Multitudinous

Evidently I'm going to be posting these comments one at a time.

Go into each class period with more stuff than you think you'll need. It takes a while for new teachers to get into the groove of figuring out how long each lesson or lesson component will take. If you are over-prepared, you don't have to worry. If you're under-prepared, you have to scramble to fill the empty space, or else that space becomes wasted instructional time.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Aficionado

Upper Elementary Teacher
That's fine--- it might actually be good to have a separate post for each idea actually

Great ideas so far--- I'll add in my novel soon ^_^
Old 05-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Aficionado

Middle of the USA
HS English & Psych, Adjunct too
Be flexible.
The unhappiest teachers (job wise) at my school are the ones that have rigid routines. I am NOT saying do NOT have a routine (students benefit from routine) but things come up all the time ... be flexible, work around it, roll with the punches.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Cohort

1st Grade Teacher
I learned not to put names on anything the first couple weeks of class. My school does so much moving around and so many students start late that I was scrambling everyday to change and add names to everything. (Kinder)
Old 05-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Cohort

1st Grade Teacher
MANAGEMENT starts on day one; don't let them slack because it's the first day. If they don't do it right the first time, have them do it again.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
To get a bee out of your room: Turn off all the lights and open all the windows. They like light.

Keep bandaids in your drawer. Not every paper cut warrants a trip to the nurse.

If your school is anything like mine, keep a neutral colored sweater in your room. Every once in a while it's a life saver.

Tags
teacher, tips