A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 05-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Companion

Cute poem to ask bridesmaids

Hi everyone. I am in the early stages of planning my wedding and am feeling slightly overwhelmed. I made alot of progress today but got stuck in one area. I am having the ceremony on a white sand beach by a lake so I am sticking to a beach type theme. I live far from the girls that I want to ask to be my bridesmaids so I wanted to think of a creative way to ask them. The phone just seemed really boring. Anyway... I came up with a little gift box type thing that would include a pair of flip flops, some shells, maybe a beach themed cookie or candy (Swedish Fish), etc. I wanted to have a cute poem to go with it asking them to be my bridesmaids and yet still tie it into the beach theme.

I have searched the internet but found very little. There are flip flop poems but they're more about guests feet hurting at the wedding and putting on the flip flops to dance. Cute, but not quite what I need. I figured as teachers, we come up with cute sayings and poems all the time for things like bulletin boards, gifts, etc. I was hoping that someone here would have more creative juices flowing than me and could give me a great poem to ask my friends to be bridesmaid during this special day or at least a great start.

And while I'm asking for this I may as well ask the other question that I'll end up posting later as well... I am giving the out of town guests welcome bags when they arrive to the hotel. They'll include things like a bottle of water, sunscreen, a beach towel, a snack of some sort, flip flops, and probably some other items. I was also hoping someone may be able to think of a cute poem to go along with these sets of beach items to kind of welcome guests to our wedding, reinforce the idea it will be on a beach, and encourage them to wear the flip flops to the ceremony if they wish.

Wow, that was alot to ask! Thanks in advance to anyone creative and kind enough to help.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:32 AM
Enthusiast

Arizona
Retired middle school shop teacher
Get a dime (10) of each of bridesmaids birth year have a Jeweler put a loop on the dimes and get a nice neck chain for each of the dimes and write on a card:
"You are such a friend that I'd give my last dime to have you as my bridesmaid"

or something like it.

I'm A Curmudgeon with Panache
Grandpa: The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Retired Shop teacher, 35 years
Old 05-07-2009, 04:32 AM
Enthusiast

NY of course!
Special Education Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdave View Post
Get a dime (10) of each of bridesmaids birth year have a Jeweler put a loop on the dimes and get a nice neck chain for each of the dimes and write on a card:
"You are such a friend that I'd give my last dime to have you as my bridesmaid"

or something like it.
Awww, that's cute! I just gave each of them a notecard that said, "Will you be my bridesmaid? I promise not to make you wear an ugly dress".
Old 05-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Comrade

Midwest
Upper elementary
My brother's fiance gave my sister and I this poem with our Christmas presents this year (it's how she asked us to be her bridesmaids). Maybe it can be adjusted to work for you?

Here it is:
You welcomed me with open arms
When I was strange and new.
You treated me as a sister would,
And now it's coming true!
Now here we are, some time away
From May 28, 2010, our wedding day.
I've bought the dress,
And started our plans.
My maid-of-honor's been chose,
As well as his best man.
But still there are those special ones
Who have been there all the way...
The bridesmaids and the ushers
Who are in our hearts to stay.
So just to make it all official
We ask you in this way
To be at my side as my bridesmaid
And share in our special day.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:00 AM
Companion

Thank you everyone who has responded. I'm going to take ideas from the examples and come up with something. I've decided there must be a creative bone hiding somewhere in my body!

TeacherNY- The notecards you gave your bridesmaids are too funny. I should incorporate something about no ugly dressed!
Old 05-09-2009, 07:02 AM
Enthusiast

NY of course!
Special Education Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by yearroundteach View Post
Thank you everyone who has responded. I'm going to take ideas from the examples and come up with something. I've decided there must be a creative bone hiding somewhere in my body!

TeacherNY- The notecards you gave your bridesmaids are too funny. I should incorporate something about no ugly dressed!
They thought it was funny!
Old 05-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Fanatic

Somewhere in the good ole USA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yearroundteach View Post
Hi everyone. I am in the early stages of planning my wedding and am feeling slightly overwhelmed. I made alot of progress today but got stuck in one area. I am having the ceremony on a white sand beach by a lake so I am sticking to a beach type theme. I live far from the girls that I want to ask to be my bridesmaids so I wanted to think of a creative way to ask them. The phone just seemed really boring. Anyway... I came up with a little gift box type thing that would include a pair of flip flops, some shells, maybe a beach themed cookie or candy (Swedish Fish), etc. I wanted to have a cute poem to go with it asking them to be my bridesmaids and yet still tie it into the beach theme.
TOO cute! Love your creative idea!

Or how about a "message in a bottle"??
You know, like some people write a message, put in in a glass bottle w/cork/cap and send it out to sea? Of course you couldn't do that...but maybe you could send out your invite in a bottle and mail it to them in a box with some sand?

"They may not remember what you taught them, but they'll remember how you made them feel".

Sandra
Old 05-10-2009, 03:12 AM
Connoisseur

NE Illinois
Elementary Teacher
That's quite the welcome basket you are giving out-of-town guests.

I can't recall having folks come in all that far... but .. wow!

Quite the added expense for you - considering the wedding will be costly as it is.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKennaL View Post
That's quite the welcome basket you are giving out-of-town guests.

I can't recall having folks come in all that far... but .. wow!

Quite the added expense for you - considering the wedding will be costly as it is.
It really shouldn't be too expensive. None of the items I am putting in are expensive and I only have to make about 10-15 of them (just making one per couple).

At any rate, the added expense is worth it to me to make them feel welcomed and show my thanks at them traveling 1800 miles for my special day.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherSandra View Post
TOO cute! Love your creative idea!

Or how about a "message in a bottle"??
You know, like some people write a message, put in in a glass bottle w/cork/cap and send it out to sea? Of course you couldn't do that...but maybe you could send out your invite in a bottle and mail it to them in a box with some sand?
That is a cute idea. I actually saw on The Knot website that people use tiny messages in bottles to assign people to their tables at the reception. I don't think I'm going to have table assignments because it is going to be a very small reception, but the invites would be a cute way to incorporate that idea.

Tags
bridesmaids, cute, poem