A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 05-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Rookie

Demo Lesson?

I was wondering if anyone had to do a demo lesson? I'm just starting my applying/interviewing and this idea scares me! Is the demo usually done in front of the people who hire, or do they put you in a class and expect you to just teach a random lesson to a class who has never seen you?
Any advice is welcome thanks.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Novice

Art Teacher
the school i just interviewed at did this in a unique way - they put me on the spot and told me "using one of the elements of art, develop a lesson and walk me through it step by step"

i asked, so do i get a few minutes to just sit and plan it out?! the woman kindly said, no, just talk me through it. haha...man oh man...i think i froze for a good minute or two!

so i had to go through it and just TALK - now i would state the objectives for the day, i would do this, and use this technique. then i would bring them over for a demonstration and do this. after that, i would do this...

STRESS! haha
Old 05-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Multitudinous

Texas
I've never had to do a demo lesson. From what I have read on here though it varies, depending on when the interview is given. During the year, most demo lessons are done in front of a class. During the sumer, it's mostly done in front of the interview committee.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Devotee

New Jersey
Kindergarten Teacher
Demo Lessons are very popular in my area. I had to do one for my maternity leave position last year. Because I interviewed in the summer they only took 5 kids from the summer program and I did the lesson with them. However, if school is still in session you usually do it with the entire class.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the info, I think I'll just brush up something simple that I could go through. I really hope I don't have to do this- maybe I can just let them look at my videotaped lesson! its not the best but it is what I did every day while student teaching.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Comrade

Los Angeles area
Virtual/Online Algebra Teacher
I had to do a demo lesson this past Friday. When they originally called me in for the demo lesson, I asked for the teacher's name/class subject I'd be doing the lesson for. I then emailed the teacher and asked what he was planning to teach that day. I planned my demo lesson around that.

I don't know if that was what I was supposed to do, but it let me prepare and actually feel like I was teaching something the kids needed to learn, instead of just taking up a day of instruction.

It must have been ok though, because I was offered the job.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Novice

Art Teacher
congrats raneydae!

that sounds like a good idea - emailing the teacher. that's great you had something to go off of for your demo!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:45 AM
Aficionado

OREGON
I have done several demo lessons. Some with children and some with the interview panel.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:33 AM
Companion

Norway
1st Grade Teacher
Demo lessons seem scary. I'm glad they'r not used here.
Good luck to you.

BTW I read someone who wrote that she had to sub in different classes and that she used techniques from power teaching and it did the trick every time, whether she knew the students or not. If that's a teaching style you're comfortable with.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:14 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
I've done several, sometimes in front of a class, sometimes not.

Don't sweat it. The kids are always angelic. They simply want to see you in action.

You KNOW you're a good teacher, right? This is just your chance to prove it.

Tags
demo, lesson