A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 04-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Rookie

NY
Preschool Teacher
Do you have nap time in pre-k?

Hello Pre-K Teachers!

Do you all have nap time in your full day classrooms? If so, how long? I am just curious. Mine is from 1:00-2:00 p.m. I have spoken to some teachers that do longer.

Any ideas on getting the kids to nap? Some days (lately especially), they are quite noisey during nap time, and it is bothersome to my students who nap religiously.

Anything special that you do to "encourage" nap? My principal thinks we should do away with it, but I believe the DSS states that preschools should have nap times if children are enrolled for a minimum of 6 hours. What are your thoughts?

Old 04-30-2009, 05:36 PM
Comrade

North Carolina
Pre-K Teacher
This has come up several times on this forum. Do you know how to search the forum? I asked basically the same thing last fall and got a lot of helpful advice. It's here:

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/s...&highlight=nap
Old 04-30-2009, 08:17 PM
Groupie

New Hampshire
we have nap form 1-3. The children are required to aly quietly on theri mats for at least 30 minutes. Then if they eally aren't tired they can look at books on their mat o do puzzles at the table but they have to be quiet. I don't usually have any trouble getting them to sleep. I close the shades and put on soothing np music and they know that laying down and trying to go to sleep is not a choice. They also get outside playtime just before lunch and most of them come n pretty early int eh morning.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Comrade

Argentina
3rd/4th grades English Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachpk View Post
Hello Pre-K Teachers!

Do you all have nap time in your full day classrooms? If so, how long? I am just curious. Mine is from 1:00-2:00 p.m. I have spoken to some teachers that do longer.

Any ideas on getting the kids to nap? Some days (lately especially), they are quite noisey during nap time, and it is bothersome to my students who nap religiously.

Anything special that you do to "encourage" nap? My principal thinks we should do away with it, but I believe the DSS states that preschools should have nap times if children are enrolled for a minimum of 6 hours. What are your thoughts?
Here in Argentina, kids have got their nap, I speak on behalf of my little daughter (5 y) , she likes sleeping and resting at school/ kinder, actually.
She has told me her teacher uses a "motivation" system of different colour of stars: if the kid sleeps... he will get a golden star (sticker)
BUT if the kid does not sleep... he will get a light blue star. Of course, the valuable ones are the GOLDEN STARS, the more you have... the better.

My daughter says when somebody is not tired at all, he /she may read a story, but must remein quiet on the correct place of their nap
Lots of love

Tags
nap, prek, time