A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 04-30-2009, 06:04 AM
Companion

East Coast
Primary Elementary Teacher
Would you date a janitor?

I met a cool guy in my creative writing class. I've known him for quite awhile now (about 3 months) and we enjoy each other's company and hang out one or two weekends a month.

However, he never says what his job is.

Not to get on the but while I believe a person's job doesn't define them, since I'm starting to have romantic feelings about this guy, I am curious what he does for a living.

All I've been able to "piece together" is that he works at the largest hotel in our district, works at night, and the one time he called me during his lunch break (which was at 8 p.m.?) there was A LOT of music and noise in the background.

My girlfriends all think he's a janitor and embarassed that if I find out I'll look down on him and not want to hang (not true, though I admit, I'm not sure I'd want to date him, I'd probably just want to remain friends).

What do you all think? And if indeed he was a janitor, would you date him? I don't think Im better than him, but I want a guy that is going places and right now, he's not in school or trying to get a better job.

PS: If I just ask him the way my Mom has suggested and he says, "Yeah, I'm a janitor" what am I supposed to say next? "Oh okay, that must be fun?" "Do you like your job?" Anything I say afterward seems like it would be patronizing

Old 04-30-2009, 06:21 AM
Phenom

I wouldn't but I am married.

Who cares? He doesn't sound like he is going to do that forever.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:29 AM
Fanatic

NY of course!
Special Education Teacher
I had a few dates with a guy who was a janitor in a school (not the one I worked at). He actually only had 6 credits to go before he graduated from college but dropped out He said he loved being a janitor! Didn't bother me really. He was fun guy.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:33 AM
Phenom

How old is he? Is he married? Does he have kids, if so how many? Just being a janitor isn't the only criteria I'd be concerned about.

I'm glad I'm not single these days, I'd just about have to do a full FBI check on someone before I'd become involved.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:34 AM
Companion

East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
I wouldn't but I am married.

Who cares? He doesn't sound like he is going to do that forever.
But how can I know that for sure? I'm dating potential mates, not just dating for the sake of it. So I want to be sure before I pursue anything with him, ya know?
Old 04-30-2009, 06:35 AM
Companion

East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot Owl View Post
How old is he? Is he married? Does he have kids, if so how many? Just being a janitor isn't the only criteria I'd be concerned about.

I'm glad I'm not single these days, I'd just about have to do a full FBI check on someone before I'd become involved.

He's 27, not married, no kids. Lives in his sister's basement (which isn't a big deal because i share an apartment with my mother AND this guy is a refugee from a wartorn country, so it's understandable he'd want to be close to his family)
Old 04-30-2009, 06:36 AM
Connoisseur

NE Illinois
Elementary Teacher
I agree with lemon.

He's in school taking a creative writing class. This is a temporary job. If he says that's what he's doing say, "Oh, ok. Have you been there long? Like it?" (what's he to say? I work in a grocery store... been there long..not really. you like it? It's ok, the people are nice.) No biggie.

But you might at another time say... are you here getting a degree? Have plans of what you want to do with it? Considering you hang out... these conversations shouldn't be tough...but don't make a lot of it - treat it simply like conversation.

Everyone has a job that gets them through during college - and often times it's not glamorous,
Old 04-30-2009, 06:37 AM
Fanatic

Land of Sunshine
MS Language Arts
Why not? Love doesn't always come with a 401k or pension. If you're already having romantic feelings for him, why let a not-so-desirable job get in the way? It's not like he's doing anything illegal or immoral. Keep it going to find out if there really is a connection!
Old 04-30-2009, 06:40 AM
Connoisseur

NE Illinois
Elementary Teacher
Could be that he is a night manager. They do some custodial work...but I think most custodial work at a hotel is done during the day - as not to wake those staying there.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:54 AM
Virtuoso

I would date a janitor. The career of a potential boyfriend doesn't bother me, but I do like them to either be working full-time or working towards a full-time, either by being in school or actively pursuing a full-time job.

Tags
date, janitor