A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 04-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Companion

Substitute Teacher and Job Seeker
Too long ago to use as reference?

Since I am getting back into teaching after an absence, I was going to use my supervisors from my current job and my previous job as references. However, I am quite worried about this now because while they can vouch for my demeanor and work ethic, they can't say anything about my teaching skills.

I've been thinking about contacting my former cooperating teacher from when I was a student teacher, and while I was in her class for 16 weeks, that was four years ago. I'm afraid this is too long, and she won't remember me.

What does everyone else think? Too long? Or, if not too long, what should I say? I don't want her to feel bad if she doesn't remember me.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Virtuoso

I would contact her and see what she remembers about you and if she were willing to give you a positive reference I would probably use her so that you have someone who has seen you teach.

You could just e-mail her, tell her who you are, what you have been doing since the last time you talked, then how you are looking to get back into the teaching profession and were wondering if you could use her as a reference to support your candidacy when applying to districts and just say something about if she is not comfortable with that since it was so long ago that would be fine.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Connoisseur

NE Illinois
Elementary Teacher
What ARE you doing now? By chance...are you subbing?

You could have a principal watch you teach and write you up an observation report.

I was told that references should be within 3 years. But as I go to interviews, inside my portfolio I have a pocket with "previous" letters of recommendation (over 3 years old). One was from a woman who was currently a faculty member of that school.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Comrade

California
Oh God, I have reference letters that are eight years old and I keep changing the date after asking the letter writer's permission of course.
****, my thesis advisors wrote the best letters that it's hard to give them up.
Letters are hard to come by. So many people have let me down in this department after promising me a letter.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:07 AM
Comrade

California
we can't say **** in here?
Old 04-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Groupie

Out west somewhere!
apparently not
Old 04-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Comrade

USA
I'm a SAHM currently. At first I was applying casually to a few districts to see what came up thinking I'd just sub if I couldn't get a job in top choice grades and schools. After I got my references together I realized how long it had been since I worked for some of them. Now I'm nervous if I don't get a job my potential reference people will retire, move... So I know the feeling! I used people I had worked with for several years.

I think it's fine to use your CP-I second what Jessica said.
Good luck!
Old 04-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Companion

Substitute Teacher and Job Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKennaL View Post
What ARE you doing now? By chance...are you subbing?
No, I'm not currently subbing. I'm a web designer. That's why I feel I need to ask her for a reference. She's the only one who can vouch for my teaching skills.

Jessica, I like your suggestion. I'll go ahead and send her an email to see if she remembers me. I hope she does! Fingers crossed!

Tags
ago, long, reference