A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 04-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Rookie

High School Teacher
Position not renewed, should I resign?

Hi, I'm new on this forum and I would like some advice.

I learned today that my job will not be renewed for the next school year. I am a second year high school Social Studies teacher in North Carolina. The principal gave me the option to resign. Is this better than just letting it go? What about unemployment if I do not find a job once the summer is over?

This is the first time anything like this has happened to me and I am very worried with the economy and all. They have told me that they will give me a good recommendation though.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Comrade

6th Grade Math
What is the specific reason it is not being renewed? If it is due to something out of your control, such as reductions in force, I don't think you should resign.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Aficionado

Indiana
High School Social Studies
I agree with Mr D - if you are being RIF I don't think you should resign. But if your principal is giving you the option to resign because you are being let go for some reason relating to your teaching, then I would resign.

I think we need alittle more information before we can really give you the correct advice
Old 04-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Devotee

Tennessee, USA
High School Math
You should be eligible for unemployment, but there are several things to consider...

1 - If you resign it will complicate your unemployment application at best. It is more than likely to from cause you to not be eligible for unemployment benefits.

2 - Have you asked the principle what kind of reference he/she will give you? Not rehired or resigned, another school system is going to want to know why and is almost certain to call to find out.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Groupie

Out west somewhere!
Last year I was told I was not going to be renewed. I was told by someone that I trust completely to resign. That way you can just say I resigned. I am rehirable by the district? Actually yes I am, in fact I have been encouraged to reapply. Which I have. I probably won't get rehired until the principal that I had issues with is long gone but I am in still good standing with the district. In fact I still sub for it.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Fanatic

Pennsylvania
High School Teacher
If your position is not being renewed for budget or scheduling reasons, there is absolutely no reason for you to resign. You aren't being "fired" you are being laid off. It's not going to look bad on an application, and you probably can't get unemployment if you resign.

Now if they are just not rehiring YOU for some reason, then you might want to resign. Do you have a union person or someone else you trust at your job to ask?
Old 04-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Rookie

High School Teacher
They gave various reasons including that I wasn't a fit in their school. Other things went into it. I was in a "special" program last year (my first year), that everyone in the school practically hated. It seemed like there was a stigma against me because I was hired in that program, but when it fell through, only four of the teachers were renewed out of six (two of those four were tenured teachers). Classroom management was also an issue, but compared to last year, it seemed so much better (no students walking out of class, fighting, major drug busts, cursing like they had the right to curse, etc). They also said that I didn't tap into my resources (mentor and assistant principal) enough. Part of that was because there was so much distrust from this failed program I was in. Frankly though, in NC, because I am only a second year teacher, they really don't have to give me a reason.

The principal told me that he would let other schools know that I have potential, but I wasn't the right fit at that particular school. They also suggested that I try to get middle school certification because they see me as a better fit there.

Trust me, I know teachers who slack off and get away with it, and that wasn't how I was this year. I tried my best.

Also, no unions in NC.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Devotee

Tennessee, USA
High School Math
I would talk to him about how to resign so it puts the least turmoil on both you and the school. Perhaps you can give a letter of resignation but still work through the end of the year. This means he doesn't have to replace you and you still get your paycheck.

Classroom management is THE issue for everyone. If you struggle with that, nothing works. As you mentioned, you greatly improved and your principle is willing to tell others that you have potential. That is a big positive be honest in future interviews and highlight how much you've grown in this aspect, but also recognize that you need to improve further.

On the aspect of unemployment, you MIGHT still qualify even with the resignation. If you are in a position of "I was told to resign or be fired", the unemployment offices treat the situation just like they would you being fired. They evaluate how reasonable your dismissal was and ask if you were fired for reasonable cause. (If you are fired for cause, you don't qualify for unemployment.) I think you have a strong case for saying how much your performance improved and how you expressed a willingness to do more. If the school doesn't provide evidence of it's claim that you were dismissed for cause, you win and get your unemployment.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Comrade

Texas
Science
Be careful. Check with your state's unemployment office as to whether you will be eligible for money if you resign. In Texas, unless the resignation is due to a very limited list, one is not eligible for unemployment. I'd see if I could get a better recommendation than one that says I have "potential." That definitely doesn't sound positive after two years, especially if one says you weren't a good fit. Those are all red flags to potential employers. Would he/she be willing to say that your program was eliminated or phased out? I'd have a very candid talk with the boss on this matter. You can't leave out 2 years of experience, but need a better recommendation.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Aficionado

North Carolina
4th Grade Teacher
Personally, I wouldn't resign. If you don't get hired someplace else, you won't be able to get unemployment if you resign.

Whether you resign or get non-renewed, you are still going to have to explain why you left. Hiring districts aren't dense -- if they see you resigned after 2 years but are still looking for a job, they will know you resigned so you didn't get non-renewed.

It is a tough road -- but not impossible. Stay as positive as possible.

Best of luck...

Tags
position, renewed, resign