A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 04-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Rookie

Louisiana
Head Start Teacher
Need Help Writing Anecdotal Notes

Help! I have to write up a ton of anecdotal notes on one particular behavior child in my classroom. I was never taught how to write one exactly so I need some help. I'm not exactly sure what to write or how to write it.
Some examples of the child:
The 5 year old child continuously kicks and screams for hours when he's unable to have his way. The child is in a bad environment at home living with his stepmother. Unable to see his biological mother and father incarcerated.
The child wants to eat 2 or more times for breakfast as well as lunch and if he's told no then he will throw himself on the floor and cry loudly while kicking and screaming. When the stepmother is contacted because of his behavior she immediately yells at him and puts him done. As soon as the child hears her voice over the phone he freezes up to a point where he barely speaks. He'll just stand their. He also does the same when she comes to the school to pick him up if he contiunes to act out.

I'm really not good in wording letters, so if anyone can give me an example or have a website with examples, I'll gladly appreciate it.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Aficionado

New Brunswick, Canada
4th Grade Teacher
I'm assuming this is for a behavioural referral to a psychologist or something?

What you have is a good start.

Basically, what you want to say is exactly what you see. Pick a day, and tell exactly what he did that day. What led up to his screaming and kicking? Did he eventually calm down? How did this happen? Basically, anecdotal notes are telling specifically what is happening with the child. While the family environment may be a contributing character, this should not be the focus of your anecdotal notes. The focus should be on the specific behaviours that the child is displaying in your class.

It's best to be as specific as possible. Tell the story of what the child's day is like. Don't leave out details.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
Also try not to sum things up too much. Like dfleming said, be very specific. Tell what happened before, during and after. While emotion plays a part, be as factual as possible.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Enthusiast

Central Ohio
We had to do anecdotal notes when I worked for Migrant Head Start. We were trained to only write what we saw. There were to be no judgements or feelings included.

Example - "Child" was playing with the blocks - building a structure four blocks high. Another child came and knocked over the structure. "Child" cried for a minute and went to the teacher.

You would NOT say that the child was upset or angry or sad, because you cannot see that.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Aficionado

OREGON
NAEYC has some great resources. I suspect they have one on observing and recording behaviors.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Aficionado

OREGON
In fact, since you are Head Start, your Education Coordinator should have a copy of one.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Groupie

California
You may want to record time and what happens over a fifteen to twenty minute period.

8:00 to 8:30 a.m. Ricardo picked up chair and threw it across the room. Then with prompt form teacher Ricardo picked up the chair and set it behind a table. Ricardo then sat down and worked on math work sheet for the next 15 minutes.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Enthusiast

Central Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresaglass View Post
You may want to record time and what happens over a fifteen to twenty minute period.
That's a good point!
Old 04-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Enthusiast

A little off center
Montessori & Orton Gillingham tutor
Remember to be OBjective and not SUBjective like the other posters have said. Stick to the facts, don't infer what he's thinking or feeling. Just write down what he says/does.

I would also have someone proofread your work before you turn it in as well.

Tags
anecdotal, notes, writing